Thread: Choice of polarising filter

Real Name
    Dave

Choice of polarising filter

Hi,

I plan to buy at least one polarising filter for improved control in landscape and outdoor photography. There is a huge choice, at a wide variety or price points, from Canon's at £150 plus, down to stuff at a few pounds (which I certainly wouldn't buy). I'm not a professional photographer, but I do like to get the best shots I can with the equipment I have (Canon 600D, SIGMA 17-70 f2.8 - f4 (likely to be my main landscape lens), and a Tamron 70-300 f4-f5.6)

Can anyone suggest what price / manufacturers would fit the bill. I know that you get what you pay for, but sometimes there isn't a significant difference from top to middle. I guess I would be looking for a "thin" filter to minimise vignetting?

Thanks,

Dave
    Last edited by davidedric; 3rd August 2012 at 11:09 AM.

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

Re: Choice of polarising filter

For digital photography one is supposed to use a circular polariser it seems - I've generally bought HOYA because they've always worked for me (and yes, I have a few different diameters) The Pro series are pretty thin - when you use it just take off any UV protective filter to reduce the risk of vignetting.

Real Name
    Dan

I also generally buy Hoya (HMC or S-HMC), but last year I bought a Marumi CPL after reading an excellent review on lenstip.com. The Marumi outscored the Hoya and was cheaper. I can't say that I have noticed any difference between that and my Hoyas. The Marumi, like the Hoya Pro, is very thin.

Real Name
    Tom

I also use the Marumi DHG Super CPLs. They are excellent polarizers at a very attractive price. The much more pricey alternative that is a tad better is B+W. Where the B+W stand out relative to the Marumi is in flare control. While the Marumis are OK on this score, the B+Ws are outstanding. In terms of polarizing, both are supurb. There is an oft-cited review of a bunch of CPLs here: http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article...ters_test.html FWIW

Real Name
    Christopher

I use the Hoya Pro-1 Digital CPL filters, and find them very good.

I believe that the only difference between the Pro-1 series and Hoya's less expensive HMC series is durability of the coating.

In objective laboratory tests using a spectrophotometer, the Hoya HMC UV filter was found superior to all other makes, including Hoya's own Pro-1, and I think this same quality at a good price carries over into the CPL filters too. The UV filter test results are here: http://www.lenstip.com/113.15-articl..._HMC_UV-0.html

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks very much, everyone. I decided to buy the Marumi since it does edge out everything else in the lenstip report, though I am sure I would have found the Hoya equally pleasing.

Now to see how I get on............

Real Name
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Thanks very much, everyone. I decided to buy the Marumi since it does edge out everything else in the lenstip report, though I am sure I would have found the Hoya equally pleasing.

Now to see how I get on............
    Dave, have a look at the lenstip results again. None of the Marumi filters perform as well as the Hoyas, and the Marumi 77mm is as good as useless.

Real Name
    Richard

I use Hoya HMC multi coated CPL filters as well as B+W made by Schneider. The Schneider seem to clean better than the Hoyas but, I understand that Hoya has replaced their coating with one that cleans more easily.

I also have a Calumet CPL which the manager of my local Calumet store states is made by Schneider. It is also an excellent filter and I have no reason to believe that the manager (who is a personal friend) is in error about the manufacturer. The price of the Calumet filter is not that much less than the B+W models and the packaging states "Made in Germany".

Real Name
    Dave

Dave, have a look at the lenstip results again. None of the Marumi filters perform as well as the Hoyas, and the Marumi 77mm is as good as useless.
    We must be looking at different things. I'm looking for a 72mm circular polariser, and the Marumi DHG Super is rated

1st place in the overall ranking (29.6/37.5)
    So it does seem a sound choice, to me.

Real Name
    Christopher

We must be looking at different things. I'm looking for a 72mm circular polariser, and the Marumi DHG Super is rated

So it does seem a sound choice, to me.
    We were looking at different tables, and you are completely right! A momentary lapse of reason!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I'm not a professional photographer, but I do like to get the best shots I can with the equipment I have (Canon 600D, SIGMA 17-70 f2.8 - f4 (likely to be my main landscape lens), and a Tamron 70-300 f4-f5.6)

Dave
    Hi Dave

I cant give any specific advice on CPL brands but I would just like to point out that I have exactly the same camera and lenses as you !! I've been very happy with them all.

I've got a "cheaper" CPL (not one of the dirt cheap ones) and I do use it under some conditions but I have found that the results you get are somewhat un-predictable. As a result, if I am using it, I often take two shots, one with the fllter rotated into optimum position and another with it rotated away from that position by 90 deg. I've never had any problems with vignetting with the Sigma lens. I believe that a 1.6 crop factor camera is more tolerant than a full frame for a given lens.

Happy shooting
    Dave

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks. The suggestion of taking two image makes very good sense. Nor had I thought about the "advantages" of a 1.6 crop camera, but since that means (if I understand right) it's using the centre portion of the lens image then I guess I should expect less vignetting. Duh!