Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tree on the Loch

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Tree on the Loch

Last one, for now, with the Singh Ray Vari ND mounted. As I said in other threads, I was trying out my new filter for the first time.

With this one, I wanted to get movement into the leaves on the outer edges of the tree, but I didn't want the wind so strong that it would move the larger branches. So, it was a case waiting for a gentle breeze to just 'tickle' the leaves.

I liked the idea of the tree having the backdrop of the mountains and I liked how the light on the water worked out.

What do you think?

Tree on the Loch
    Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f2.8 L @ 24mm. ISO100. 6s @f16. Singh Ray Vari ND
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd August 2012 at 12:06 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Tree on the Loch

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I wanted to get movement into the leaves on the outer edges of the tree, but I didn't want the wind so strong that it would move the larger branches.
    A very nice effect that I have never thought of. It provides a softness that goes very well with the rest of this image.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Well done, Donald. Your image has a nice tranquil feel, even though it was an overcast, possibly chilly day. I like the smoothness of the water and how the light hits it. Keeping the tree dark provides a nice contrast against the loch. Did you adjust the conversion of green to gray when you processed this image?

Personally, the large white borders are somewhat distracting, like looking through a large window. Borders really do help show the viewer where are the edges of the image, so I was wondering if you might want to try a 2-pixel border. A small border does not dominate the image but does show the edges.

I've also found that sometimes using a gray border #808080 works better than white. But for this image, white is a good choice. Maybe it's a good choice for all B&W images. I'll have to experiment.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mike, Ken - Thank you for commenting.

Ken - the conversion to B & W was done with Silver Efex Pro2.I can't actually remember, but I think I did move the green and yellow sensitivity sliders a bit.

I appreciate that the border I put on these for posting on CiC is not to everyone's taste. I don't use any border on the versions I load up onto my own website.