Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Visual Overload

Real Name
    Richard

Visual Overload

There were two venues in which I experienced visual overload... First was photographing the Albuquerque (New Mexico) International Balloon Fiesta and the other was at Bryce Canyon, Utah... It seemed that where ever I pointed my camera, there was spectacular beauty. I suspect that if pointed in the right direction, either venue would have resulted in nice images for a blindfolded photographer.

Here are a few from a late afternoon Bryce Canyon shoot...

Visual Overload
    Visual Overload
    Visual Overload
    Visual Overload
    Visual Overload
    Visual Overload
    Visual Overload
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 2nd August 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: Visual Overload

"Visual Overload" is the perfect description of my experience with the Banyon Trees in Hawaii! I think you did a wonderful job with these. It's impossible to capture the scope of such natural beauty. Everyone has their own interpretation regardless of what you show them. I can see "alien" cities in them everywhere--LOL. Thanks so much posting. I am learning so much by the posts here.

ggt

Real Name
    Tommy

A really nice series, thanks for posting! Looks like a spectacular place to go and photograph!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very enjoyable, Richard. I've been to Bryce only twice and was never fortunate enought to experience that kind of light.

Real Name
    Steve

I've been looking for a place like that Richard. They are all very nice but still I favour #6.

Real Name
    Richard

Mike posted, "I've been to Bryce only twice and was never fortunate enought to experience that kind of light."

I had a book with me, "Photographing the Southwest, Vol 1" by Laurent Martres. The book recommends the best times to shoot the various Vistas in Utah.

http://www.amazon.com/Photographing-...+southern+utah

I visited Kodachrome Basin earlier in the day on a reconnaissance run before I visited Bryce Canyon. The book recommended shooting Kodachrome Basin early in the morning and late in the afternoon. It was totally corect, I learned that I really want to take my motor home to stay at Kodachrome Basic Utah State Park so I can shoot at dawn and dusk. Just stepping out of my motor home into Kodachrome Basin's vivid morning and evening colors would be wonderful.

https://www.google.com/search?q=koda...w=1245&bih=566

However, late afternoon was the best time for light at Bryce Canyon. The problem with catching the late afternoon light is that I had to rush from one point to another because the light was changing and failing. I wish I had given myself another hour or two. Or could have returned for a second day of shooting.

I was staying in an RV Park at Panguich, Utah which is kind of centrally located to visit Bryce Canyon, Kodachrome Basin (although that is a long drive), Red Canyon (spectacular in the early morning and late afternoon) and Cedar Breaks National Monument. I should have stayed a few more days there but, the RV Park was closing for the season and we had to move.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Wow. Great shots. Great lighting, which brought out the detail in the rocks. I have never seen better images of Bryce. Most are not nearly as stunning and so I never put it on my bucket list. Maybe now I will.

Real Name
    Terri

thank you for sharing these beautiful images with us. You did a great job. Did your book say which is the best time of year to visit these places? I'm taking a landscape class at Garden of the Gods here in Colorado in a few weeks and hope to plan a visit back to Bryce and Zion. With RV parks closing for the season already, I'm wondering if maybe I've missed my opportunity for this year?

Real Name
    Paul

Nice series Richard. #2 and #6 I think are my two top picks but all are quite enjoyable.