Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: ND Filter considerations

ND Filter considerations

I am in the market for a couple of solid 4x4 ND filters to add to my LEE Filter holder. I tried the 7 and 10 stop HiTech ProStop filters, but found them to produce too much color cast--the 10 produced so much color cast that I could not correct it in post post processing (yes, I shoot RAW) and the 7 was not quite the quality of reproduction to the baseline non-filtered image I was hoping for.

Now, I am about to try Tiffen 4x4 4mm Glass filters. I am limiting my budget to ~$450 for filters, which means I can buy 2 solid ND filters to fill in the hole to the 10 Stop Big Stopper I hope to one day get--I am on a few waiting lists for the LEE Big Stopper, but there is no hope anytime soon.

My question is, should I go with a tradition 4 stop and 6 stop combination, or should I consider a 4 stop and 7 stop combination to give myself 3 stops between each filter.....?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: ND Filter considerations

Quote Originally Posted by SUSOM View Post
    My question is, should I go with a tradition 4 stop and 6 stop combination, or should I consider a 4 stop and 7 stop combination to give myself 3 stops between each filter.....?

I would want to spend a lazy $500 wisely so . . . IT DEPENDS . . .

1. What specifically are the general SCENES and SHOOTING SCENARIOS you're wanting to slow down?

2. What LENSES – specifically the APERTURE RANGES?

3. What CAMERAS?

WW

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'd STRONGLY suggest giving some SERIOUS consideration to a Singh-Ray Vari-ND Filter.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I'd STRONGLY suggest giving some SERIOUS consideration to a Singh-Ray Vari-ND Filter.
    Which, if acted upon, pretty much makes redundant your answering all my questions.

WW

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I would have to endorse that. I have just obtained one and started using it and, yes, it is eye-wateringly expensive for a little bit of glass, but if you are able to allocate $450 to a budget, then I think it is the the best option you could come up with.