Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Am I expecting too much??

Am I expecting too much??

I was trying out my brothers Canon EF 100-400 L lens.
    I had it on a tripod but was dissapointed in most of the pictures. Am I expecting too much.
    Here is one shot that I thought was keepable but not tac sharp. I could not get closer.
    This was shot with a 40D and the above lens.
    f/5.6, 1/500 Iso 160 Focal Length 400
    Original

Cropped.

Thanks for looking.

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

Re: Am I expecting too much??

Hi Muriel,

I enjoy working with the 100-400L, but it is not the sharpest lens when wide open, an issue that affects most lenses. If you can stop it down to f9 (by upping the ISO perhaps) you should find it much sharper. If you don't have that much leeway you will even find that f6.3 brings a noticable improvement.

Cheers,
    Ady

Real Name
    Sharon

Hi Muriel.

Are you expecting too much?

Depends what you usually shoot with and how much time you had to 'learn' this lens..are you planning to buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post
    Hi Muriel,

I enjoy working with the 100-400L, but it is not the sharpest lens when wide open, an issue that affects most lenses. If you can stop it down to f9 (by upping the ISO perhaps) you should find it much sharper. If you don't have that much leeway you will even find that f6.3 brings a noticable improvement.

Cheers,
    Ady
    I will work with it some more and follow you suggestions.
    Thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Hi Muriel.

Are you expecting too much?

Depends what you usually shoot with and how much time you had to 'learn' this lens..are you planning to buy one?
    First I am wanting a telephoto lens.

I worked with the lens but it is certain I do not know it.
    So much to remember. I am just really learning about the lenses and some of the things I need to remember.
    On the above shots I was having trouble with light and did not think to adjust the ISO..(as suggested by Ady) I think I need to write everything on the palm of my had that I need to check...LOL
    I really want to learn how to use this. I don't like the lens in some ways becasue it doesnot seem to stay in focus at times.
    And the reason I posted was I wanted to know if it was the lens or the nut behind the camera. I am rather glad to learn it is probably the nut instead of the lens. Will practice some more before I take it back.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Sharon

Aww Muriel, be gentle on yourself hun.

These are great shots with such a beast of a lens if you aren't familiar with it.

try to enjoy it..if it is for you then you will know. i couldn't handle anything that big!

I will take it with us as we head to the coast this weekend and work with it some more.
    Weight is a big problem for me.... ...I would so love the distance without the weight.
    I would always have to use a tripod with a lens that big. I was looking at a Sigma and it is over 4 pounds.