Thread: how could I improve this image

Real Name
    Samir Ray

how could I improve this image

Dear Friends,
    I learning steadily with the help of your feed back in this case also I need some valuable feed backs.

as the sun was about to start that days journey, the tower and the dead tree were standing on the path as if boasting as landmarks for the course.

Real Name
    Samir Ray

Re: how could I improve this image

what is a poll option

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Samir, it would be helpful to know what is it that you want this image to say to the viewer?

Real Name
    Allan Short

Samir: I would suggest if you are wanting to take early morning or late evening images that reguire a longer shutter speed that you look into getting a tripod. The large on the left you can see that it is blurred. It takes sometime learning to shot in low light, you could increase the ISO, but then you could run into problems with noise, or slow the shutter speed down and you now have problems with blurr as you can not hold the camera study, so you need a tripod. I would suggest that you go to the advance search at the top of the page and type in tripod or goto the discussion categories, also it would help to know what you are shooting with.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Samir Ray

"as the sun was about to start that days journey, the tower and the dead tree were standing on the path as if boasting as landmarks for the course." -this was the message. Is it important to have a specific message for all the images that we want to show ? I'm not sure I did not have much opportunity to brush shoulder with such good photographers like you. Can you please elaborate what you wanted to say so that I could correct my self.

Real Name
    Samir Ray

Thanks allen

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by samirlalgola View Post
    Is it important to have a specific message for all the images that we want to show ?
    I would phrase it that it's important that an image made in this style should clearly tell a story and that, to do so, the subject should be immediately apparent.

For me, the story in this image is the contrast between the two manmade structures and the tree. That's similar to what you were trying to convey, so your image worked in that regard at least in my case.

I don't see the blur that Allan mentioned. However, I would feel more confident about my assessment if I could have viewed a larger image, so I encourage you to post larger images. (Clicking the image provides access to a larger image when one exists.)

If there is some blur in the large tree on the left, it would probably be because a strong wind was blowing, not because you didn't use a tripod. I say that because the EXIF information indicates that you used a shutter speed of 1/160 and an 18mm lens, which of course is fine for holding the camera steady.

I have nothing to suggest to improve the image other than to keep shooting interesting subjects. I will mention that there are two predominant styles of shooting silhouettes -- rendering the subject as pure black and rendering it with a little bit of color. Your image is in the latter style, which is my personal preference. Nicely done!

Real Name
    Joshua

Somehow the dynamic between the tree and the power lines is confusing the subject for me. It's not a bad picture, and blurring aside, I look at it and am just not sure about what I'm looking for. I think a clarity on what the subject is, and what you're trying to convey would improve this image most of all.

Real Name
    Samir Ray

thanks all for giving so much time effort to improve my photography. If there is not much grammetical mistake as the sun was about to start that days journey, the tower and the dead tree were standing on the path "as if boasting as landmarks for the course." what does this line explain to you ? Does it tell the story ? I would love to know. I'm loving this association.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

"as the sun was about to start that days journey, the tower and the dead tree were standing on the path as if boasting as landmarks for the course." -this was the message. Is it important to have a specific message for all the images that we want to show ? I'm not sure I did not have much opportunity to brush shoulder with such good photographers like you. Can you please elaborate what you wanted to say so that I could correct my self.
    Hi Samir, the more you image stirs an emotion in the viewer, the more the image will be liked. If the image can tell a story all the better. If you can also determine what proceeded the moment of capture and what is likely to follow, it helps tell the story.

Most photographers have a reason for taking the shot and usually that is what the viewer appreciates about the image. When this is less clear, the image may have a more limited appeal.

In this case you have man-made objects, the power tower and the lamp post and also two natural objects, the sunrise and the dead tree. Sometimes these conflicting types of objects don't complement each other very well.

As Mike points out, the subject should be clear and in this image the power tower and tree are grabbing about the same amount of attention and as a result of their prominence, the sunrise is almost lost as a subject.

To move the image towards the impact you are looking for I think I would darken the foreground to eliminate the detail on the ground, remove the lamp pole as it is a distraction, and increase the saturation in the sky to give the sunrise more impact.

I hope you don’t mind if I demonstrate?
    In ACR, I increased the Contrast, Recovery, and Blacks.
    In Photoshop I cloned out the lamp.
    In Topaz Adjust I added a bit of Photo Pop for the sunrise sky.

Hopefully this helps makes the tree and tower give the impression of blocking the sunrise.

I like in-your-face styles, so I really, really like Frank's revision. I think he did a masterful job of editing the photo to tell a very dramatic story. However, if the story Samir wants to tell is a more serene, tranquill story, I would be willing to bet that even Frank would agree that his alterations take the image in the wrong direction. As always, it comes back to the question of what story is being told.

Real Name
    Samir Ray

Now getting great helps. I wanted to make the presence of the tree and the tower more important than sunrise. I wrote under the image that those figures were standing as if by seeng them sun will choose its right course in the sky. Now I want to know can i use such punch lines to explain the image or image it self should tell its story. Thanks frank I will always remember your hard work for teaching a novice. thanks mike for taking interst.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Samir, whenever possible, the image should stir an emotion in the viewer and communicate a story. I have also found that any images posted at CiC with a bit of background are usually more interesting as they help tell the story.

The point is that the more interesting in image is for whatever reason, the more the viewer will take time to look at and think about the scene. This is one of the things that generates the emotion as the viewer recalls similar scenes and recalls the experience of the feelings, aromas, and sounds they had previously enjoyed.

As an example, what do you feel when think about a favorite object? Images can get the viewer to experience a similar feeling.

Hope this helps!

can i use such punch lines to explain the image or image it self should tell its story.
    I would encourage you to use text to explain your images any time you want. As an example, certain kinds of journalism photos typically require a detailed explanation to ensure that the viewer completely understands the context and details of the story being told. However, when other kinds of photography, such as the type and style that you have presented in this thread, tell the story on their own with no help from text, I think it's reasonable to say that they are more effective than photographs that require text to convey the intended message.

Real Name
    Samir Ray

i just don't know how to thank you people who take so much pain to give an indepth knowledge of photography to an ameture.
    Last edited by samirlalgola; 27th July 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: grammer

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Just keep on enjoying taking and processing images and you won't be able to call yourself an amateur for very much longer!

Real Name
    Samir Ray

I will post my next pic soon need ur review