Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help sought - grain removal

Real Name
    Dave

Help sought - grain removal

Hi,

I used to shoot slide film, and because of the type of photography I do tended to use Ektachrome 400 (before the days of image stabilisation!). I've been scanning some of these using a high res scanner - which essentially scans finer than the grain on the original emulsion. The result is some very grainy images (interestingly, they look far worse on a PC screen than they ever did when projected).

I'd be grateful for any advice on PP tools or techniques for removing grain. Is it the same as removing noise, or is there more? I currently use PSE9 for PP processing, and also have Qimage for printing.

Thanks for any advice or tips,

Dave

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Help sought - grain removal

I save as 16-bit Tiff, and import into ACR. I use the noise reduction "to taste", and save as .DNG.

HTH

Peter

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Help sought - grain removal

It's not the same as removing noise but noise reduction software works well in this situation. You might try using Gaussian Blur but noise reduction has always been more successful for me.

The grain in your scans is more apparent when viewing them on your monitor than when projecting film slides because the latter method does not provide an opportunity for critical viewing.

Ironically, I know of a highly respected pro who bought a Nikon D7000 because shooting at fairly high ISO produces a look that is very similar to film grain. Similarly, I use software to add the appearance of grain to my digital monochrome images.