Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Update on Starving Pup

Real Name
    Richard

Update on Starving Pup

I earlier posted this image of Felicia whom we rescued from a local shelter. Some members expressed interest in Felicia's recovery

Update on Starving Pup

She had been covered with foxtails and was starving. Felicia is well on her way to recovery. She has had surgery for some infected foxtails and has increased her weight by 1/3. Her coat is beginning to grow back and most importantly, Felicia seems to feel great. She has all kinds of energy and loves playing fetch with a toy above anything else...

Update on Starving Pup

Update on Starving Pup

Felicia is still eating three high calorie and high protein meals each day. We believe that she will always be on the slim side but, that is good for a dog who is so active. Her coat is growing back and pretty soon she will be a lovely looking dog with a great personality.

Felicia has begun to help other dogs adjust. We recently received Giselle (we call her Giselle the Gazelle) whom we rescued from an abusive home in Los Angeles. She had been tied outside and we think beaten. She was starved and she would cower in the back of her kennel in fright and not move. Giselle is still a bit skittish but, is learning that people and other dogs can be friends. She loves to play with Felicia and the two of them are great runners..

Update on Starving Pup

We have a lady flying in from Arizona who has rescued frightened and mistreated dogs before. She wants to give Giselle a "furever" home with her family. We will wait until Felicia revovers just a bit more before we place her up for adoption. We would love a person who is interested in canine agility to adopt Felicia....
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 24th July 2012 at 04:18 PM.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: Update on Starving Pup

Oh, thanks for posting. I love seeing pictures of happy dogs! And thank you for helping in the dog world.

I remember the first post...WOW what a dramatic change! Does not look like the same dog. You all have done a great work with her, two thumbs up!

Real Name
    Richard

Here are a few more...

Update on Starving Pup

Update on Starving Pup

Update on Starving Pup

Real Name
    Helen Wood

They are all wonderful photos but the last one is definately my favourite. She is like the canine equivalent of a supermodel - I'm stunning and I know it. You are doing wonderful work with your rescues.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by HMW12 View Post
    They are all wonderful photos but the last one is definately my favourite. She is like the canine equivalent of a supermodel - I'm stunning and I know it. You are doing wonderful work with your rescues.
    Felicia LOVES TOYS... She would rather play with a toy than eat! Having a toy is an easy way to to attract her attention.

Real Name
    Janis

I especially like the photo of Giselle, Richard. She reminds me of my Stella in full flight--joy incarnate. One of my fondest desires is to capture that exuberance, but it has eluded me so far.

You've done great work with Felicia. She looks like a different dog altogether.

Real Name
    Grahame

Richard, Photography with a purpose, I love the results.

Real Name
    Richard

Here are three more recent rescues...

Morena: this darling pup (estimated at about four months old) was found as a stray roaming the streets of Morena Valley, California. Hence her name, "Morena"!

Update on Starving Pup

Memphis Lil: We rescued Memphis Lil from a high kill Los Angeles, California shelter. She is going to meet her prospective "furever" family this weekend. They want an older and sedate dog. Memphis is about five years old and is vey calm and mellow...

Update on Starving Pup

Lola: Lola is about 12-14 years old and has found her forever home. We named her Lola which stands for "Little Old Lady". This goes to prove that there is a home for every dog. It's our job to match the dogs with the right homes...

Update on Starving Pup

Oh yes, in 2010 and 2011 we had thirty dogs a year pass through our home on their way to their new lives in furever homes. So far in the first six months of 2012, we have helped over 30 dogs so far...

Real Name
    Kristian

Wow! The change Felicia has gone through is amazing!

And Wow! I am so happy when I read threads like this! It is great to see that people who are able to rescues dogs (and cats, and other animals) that has had a crappy life, and feed them, nuture them, and find them a great home where they can live happy lives

I would've done the same, but unfortinately my allergies would kill me

Real Name
    Richard

Kristian... I cannot speak for your alergies but, there are several breeds of dogs that often bother people with alergies less, or even not at all. They are the Poodle, Maltese, Bischon, and Portuguese Water Dog among others. Some Goldendoodles (Golden Retriever + Poodle) and some Labradodles (Labrador Retriever + Poodle) also are fairly hypoalergenic. The Labradoodle was developed in Australia to be used as service dogs for persons who are allergic to most dogs. They were so successful as service dogs and as great pets that the Goldendoodle was developed.

I have a Goldendoodle and she is one of the most wonderful dogs I have ever shared my home with (and there have been loads of dogs). She is absolutely great with our Maltese puppies and is superb in helping terrified Maltese rescues (who have been brutalized by bigger dogs) overcome their fear of big dogs...

She loves to play with the Maltese...

Update on Starving Pup

She spends hours kissing Maltese puppies hrough the puppy pen. When she and the puppies are outside on the lawn, she lays down to play with them so she will not step on them by accident...

Update on Starving Pup

Real Name
    Joshua

I'm very happy to see she has ended up in such a nice home. When I used to work at the animal shelter it was always very hard when animals came in, in such poor condition. Lovely photos as well

Real Name
    Kristian

Richard, I'll look into it. Perhaps see if I find people with said breeds and visit them to see if I am allergic or not.

All my life I've wanted a dog, but as a child both my dad and I were allergic, and as an adult I've lived in tiny apartments and worked weird hours. Now I've got an ok size apartment, and I don't work as crazy as before, so perhaps it's time to get a dog now?

Real Name
    Richard

Kristian... You might consider a Maltese or a Maltese/Poodle mix, called a Maltipoo here in the USA. These little dogs are great for apartments. They don't need a yard for exercise, they don't shed and they can be pad trained to eliminate accidents between walks. They are not yappy like some small breeds (of course this depends on the individual dog) and they like nothing better than to sit in your lap or next to you on the couch.

They are also, just about as hypoallergenic as possible. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/maltese.htm

If you get a mixed breed dog, make sure that both breeds are hypo allergenic. This is true for the Maltese + Poodle but, our combination Maltese + Chihuahua pupies both shed and we are sure they are not hypoallergenic.

Beautiful pictures Richard! Thank you for posting about Felicia, I remember when you first posted her pic and felt so sick to see her in such bad shape.. it was wonderful to see her running and happy. I also LOVE the second picture in the second group of pictures, they are all very good, but that one tugs at my heart. The last two pictures you posted just make me smile... what a sweetie... I love seeing your puppy pictures.. keep em coming!