Thread: My first post. What do you think?

My first post. What do you think?

My 7 month old son!

Here I actually uploaded it properly now!

Last edited by cherryvalleyman; 27th July 2012 at 04:29 AM.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: My first post. What do you think?

I'm new also, so I don't feel qualified to comment on the quality of the pic. I can only share how it makes me feel --I want to hold and hug your son!

Very sweet...I like the angle you used for this picture. Welcome to CiC

Real Name
    Kristian

What a cute kid!

I like the shallow depth of field, and the softness in the photo. The crop works, and the way he looks out of the frame makes the photo a bit more interesting, as we start wondering who's/what's there.
    I'm not too fond of his right arm, but as it's a baby you can't really make him understand posing yet. It still works though, so it's not a big deal for this photo.

All in all, you should be happy with this

I only cropped this photo a bit, otherwise that's the only manipulation that has been done to this photo. I hadn't planned to take this photo. I had just purchased a 100mm macro lens and was playing around with it. After I took it I was pleased though. I plan to take more shots similar to this. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Troy

Real Name
    Grahame

It's a great shot and you should be very pleased with it. I wonder if some local sharpening of the eyes only would give that great pose it a bit more impact ?

Grahame

Real Name
    Grahame

Having made the suggestion that some local sharpening of the eyes may enhance this photo I took the liberty of having a go, I hope you do not mind. In my view it will turn what is already a geat shot into a great shot with a WOW factor. I also had a play with some other basic PP but came to the conclusion it really can not be improved in other areas at least with my skills.

Hopefully you have a better resolution pic for working on as in my humble opinion it's one that needs minor PP, printing and framing.

Grahame

I don't mind. I will give that a try!

Troy

Here is the same photo with my attempt at your suggestion Grahame, I'm using Lightroom to make the adjustments.

Troy

Real Name
    Kristian

As far as I can tell from my iPhone, you've done great!

Real Name
    Grahame

Troy, Firstly, I am no expert and hope that others with far more knowledge will give some views. I'm not sure if the increased overall contrast is needed and perhaps the sharpening is slightly ovedone ? On the version I did my wife told me to redo the local eye sharpening without the sharpening applied to the eyebrows.

Cheers, Grahame

My wife liked the original over the revised photo. I agree, it looks a bit over done now that I've taken a real good look at it. I've never really messed with any photo manipulation software until now. I'll just have to practice with it until I become better! I'll repost when I think I've nailed it.

Troy

Real Name
    Grahame

Troy, Here's what I did. In PSE selected the area of each eye just to an extent to include the eyelashes. Sharpened each to Radius 1.0 and Sharpening 40.

Subtle change to eyes only and have not adjusted anything else. As I have only done this on the low res file not too sure how its going to look when re-uploaded.

Grahame

Alright I gave it a go and I think it is much better now. I do think it makes his eyes pop a bit more.

Troy