Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hummingeagle

Real Name
    Terry

Hummingeagle

I deleted this shot from another thread because I remembered that its better to get constructive commentary if you give it its own thread!

Hope no one minds!

Hummingeagle

Real Name
    Louise

Re: Hummingeagle

We all want one of those hey dude! Real good picture. The only thing that boders me is the yellow spot behind the bird, its too bright. Possibly your set-up prevents you from shooting from a different angle? Just a small change would eliminate it. Do you know what caused it, possibly a flower?

Real Name
    Steve

What was your flash power, terry. The flash looks a touch on the strong side. Maybe try pushing the exposure a little more , and lowering the flash power.

You're getting some good shots, keep it up!!

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    We all want one of those hey dude! Real good picture. The only thing that boders me is the yellow spot behind the bird, its too bright. Possibly your set-up prevents you from shooting from a different angle? Just a small change would eliminate it. Do you know what caused it, possibly a flower?
    Hi Louise!

Yeah, I guess that yellow spot is pretty bright. I even toned it down a tad! It wouldn’t be that hard to eliminate it completely. I don’t know what it is off the top of my head.

I have limited vantage points due to the backgrounds. I try to set up such that I get as natural (foliage) and even BG as possible, but naturally, there are problems. Bright spots (as you noticed), man made things, and gravel drive, which produces bad white spots. I’ve even considered hanging a backdrop, but haven’t decided if that is something I want to do yet.

Thank you for the suggestions, Louise.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    What was your flash power, terry. The flash looks a touch on the strong side. Maybe try pushing the exposure a little more , and lowering the flash power.

You're getting some good shots, keep it up!!
    ¼ power on both key and “rim” lighting, Steve, on-bracket ETTL HSS. I think it is possible I may have pushed a tad too much in post.

I’ll try your advice next time out (which may be a while). Thank you for offering it.

Real Name
    Terri

I love it. I love that you caught him with his tail feathers spread. And I like the natural background. I'm envious as I've been working on trying to get a hummingbird shot but haven't managed to get one except when they land. It's a beautiful shot!

Real Name
    Terry

Thank you, Terri.

They don't seem to care anything about cooperating with their photographers (reminds me of my own family)!

But in spite of themselves they can be had!

I have Faith that you will get the shot you are looking for. I just somehow know it.

Real Name
    Paul

Very well done Terry. The bright spot could be toned down a bit more but I love the pose. I have yet to catch the spread tail feathers. Nice work.

Real Name
    Terry

Thank you, Paul.

I think I'll work on that bright spot and see how I like it when I get time.

Thank you for the suggestion.