Thread: Calling all water collision drip art enthusiasts!

Real Name
    Philip

Calling all water collision drip art enthusiasts!

Hi All
    I know this subject has been discussed here in the past, but I thought Id try and resurrect the subject as I need some advice!
    Some months ago now I suddenly got the urge to try and capture a drip splashing into a pool of water. Those of you who have tried this will know its not as easy as it seems! Over a period of months (well since last Christmas actually,) the pursuit of better images has now absorbed a lot of my spare time not to mention the contents of my wallet.
    I have built the rig Im using completely from scratch myself, including the electronic trigger and all the code for the arduino (a little computer) and the Visual Basic front end.
    My results are not too bad, but to get any further I need to create a much taller plume or rod with the first drop.

As you can see from the images, my problem is that try a I might, I cant generate a 'plume' or 'rod' of more than 4 or 5 cm. I recon I need to get to 10 - 15 cm.
    I have tried varying drop size and height as well as the depth of water in the pan.
    Id be Very grateful for any leads, suggestions or anecdotes that might help me take this to the next level!!

Regards
    Phil
    Last edited by Quinn; 21st July 2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: wrong images !!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Calling all water collision drip art enthusiasts!

Sorry Phil, but I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to start answering your question. All I can do is sit back and enjoy looking at the images. I acknowledge the goal that you are pursuing, but think these are very fine images. I particularly like the lighting on that last one.

Real Name
    Gary

Try this link http://www.photigy.com/category/liquid-and-splash/ it has some articles that might help you.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Philip

Guys,
    Thanks for the reply's! Both very useful. I have read the diyphotography article before. I will be laid up for a month or so while I recover from some orthopedic surgery I must submit to tomorrow, but on the bright side, lots of time to mess with water drips!

Cheers
    Phil

Real Name
    Brian

Came across an article in Digital Photo (British), October edition, on a photographer who does this with outstanding success. His name is Markus Reugels and has a web site http://www.markusreugels.de or http://www.500px.com/MarkusReugels.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Just a guess but perhaps the viscosity of the liquid has something to do with the plume height?

Real Name
    Steve

Perhaps you should be dropping something other than water.