Thread: Picture Tried again

Real Name
    Raul or Gabriel

Picture Tried again

Hey guys, im back again. Took that shot w/ the water lilies again. Please comment and suggest if there are anything you want to say.
    Nikon D5000. 18-200mm VRII
    1/160 f5 ISO 100

Picture Tried again

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Picture Tried again

Congratulations on being so persistent to get the shot that you really want. I like that there is no plastic in the lower left corner as before.

However, if I remember correctly, the first one had an extensive depth of field. This one has a very limited depth of field. I prefer the large depth of field, as it provides greater detail and makes it seem as if the water lilies go on forever. By limiting the depth of field, the subject becomes an individual lily or a small group of lilies and I don't see any lilies in the image that are distinct enough to stand on their own as a subject. Using an extensive depth of field, the entire area of lilies becomes the subject.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I have to agree with Mike, only on place is in focus and that is about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, everything else is out of focus. For me it make for a very uninteresting image, nothing to hold or focue my attention on.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Raul or Gabriel

Allan and Mike: Thanks for the comments. I'll remember to do that. Thanks!

The only way that I have ever succeeded with this sort of scene is to get something interesting and sharp in the foreground. Then let the remainder gradually blur into the background.

It requires a narrow aperture (say F11 to F16 approx) and a tripod. But be aware of potential wind movement problems if the shutter speed is too long.

Every year I try to photograph UK bluebells in woodland and well over 90% of my attempts get ditched.