Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mud Lark

Real Name
    John

Mud Lark

Mud LarkHere is my contribution to the bird theme. C&C please
    Last edited by Walshy; 6th August 2009 at 05:42 AM.

Real Name
    David

Re: Mud Lark

Hi Walshy - I like the pose of the bird; it suggests a certain disdain for the rest of the world. To my eyes the focus looks marginally off. You might want to look at refocusing software such as that from Focus Magic for tweaking (Google for info). If you use The Gimp, check out the recent "wavelet" series of tools from the Plug-in Registry. The sharpen tool could be useful here.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Walshy,

I agree with David on focus (I have lots of similar shots).

I would add there is a fair degree of CA there (chromatic abberation), so if you can, effect a fix on the whole frame (before the crop) or, if you want to cheat as I often do. Wipe over the green and red edges with a desaturate brush where these are on black, white or grey picture content.

It is quite noticeable on the tail and wing feathers, plus the head to a lesser degree.

Good otherwise, and unlike me, the white is not particularly "blown".

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the advise Dave and David, I will see if I can correct the defects as you guys suggest.
    Walshy

I think that little bit of variable sharpness is chiefly caused by too shallow a depth of focus; which is very common with this type of shot, and difficult to avoid. Or did the bird move a fraction which is another common problem.

Were you on auto focus? The legs and particularly that wisp of feather near the top of the furtherest leg are sharp while the closest parts are a bit soft, but the eye appears good.

A little touch of selective sharpening might help

Real Name
    John

Hi Geoff
    I was on auto focus for this shot, so I don't know if the bird moved or I did. I normally gauge the sharpness by the legs and the eyes and as you say they are in focus. Guess I will have to keeep trying.

I would say the apparent out of focus was more a bit of camera shake and a few other things. The exif data says f5.6 @1/100 300mm and ISO640, wide open, low shutter speed for the focal length, and I'm not sure how the camera performs at ISO640.

Keep trying mate, birds and light are notoriously uncooperative, as I'm constantly reminded.