Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Road Trip - Boab Tree

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Road Trip - Boab Tree

I drove 200 km's to get this tree at sunset and was not happy with the result but here it is anyway. It takes a bit of effort to get the desired shot and some times some luck with the sunsets is a bonus. C&C welcome.

Road Trip - Boab Tree

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Road Trip - Boab Tree

Hi Wayne,
    First of all, you made an effort to get a shot. Great attempt. I don't know the name Boab tree, looks pretty much like a Baobab, never knew they grow in Australia too.
    What do you mean by not happy with the result? What are you not happy with? What is the result you desired?
    Prepared to try and help, need a little more info. Baobab trees make great pictures.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I suspect this will have to be a project for another day. The offset trees and the low horizon work well as a composition. You just need to get a better sunset/sky; this one is too blah. As well; the tree and horizon could be absolutely black. I find myself straining to make out the slightly visible buildings(?) in the background.

Given a great sunset this will be brilliant

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Hi Andre, I suppose I was just a little disappointed with the sunset as I had driven a long way ad wanted to get a classic red back ground. You guys call it a different name but we call it a Boab. They grow in the north west of Australia but there are varying opinions as to wether they have been here since our continents parted ways or if the seeds floated here, or were brought here. They are a symbol of the Kimberley region. I will post some more in a few days as will be finished the road trip tomorrow. Thanks for your comments.

Real Name
    Kevin

Hey, Wayne

Certainly a worthy subject, and worth another drive with more help from Mother Nature, hopefully. As the tree is magnificent, but the background not so much, I wonder whether getting in tighter to the tree with a wider angle lense might isolate the tree better. Also, this is a high dynamic range situation (unless you're wanting a silhouette) and will require exposures for both tree and sky if tree detail is included in your goals. looking forward to your next attempt.

Kevin