Thread: Guess what breed!

Real Name
    Richard

Guess what breed!

This 11-week old female puppy's mom is a Maltese. We know that because her mom was a rescue and Molly Moo (we named her that because when she was born, her coloring was like a Holstein cow) was born in our home a few days after her mom arrived,pregnant, from a Los Angeles shelter. Molly's three male siblings look like Chihuahuas but, Molly is quite different from them in looks and in personality. She is the first of the litter to try anything new and she learns things faster than her siblings. She is also more outgoing. Obviously, her coat and coloring are a lot different from her brothers...

We suspect, that her mom might have had an affair with a border collie culminating in Molly's conception. BTW: a female dog may have puppies in a litter conceived by more than one male if she free breeds over the entite heat period.

What do you think Molly is? Whatever she is, Molly is as cute as a button!

Molly:

Guess what breed!

Guess what breed!

Guess what breed!

Sibling #1

Guess what breed!

Sibling #2

Guess what breed!

Sibling #3

Guess what breed!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th July 2012 at 04:43 AM.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Guess what breed!

Now that's my kind of dog.

Real Name
    Mary

SOOOO cute! Maybe some terrier in her?--

I don' have a clue but she is a very cute pup, if she starts trying to herd you then you know she has some border collie in her:>.. They all are very cute. Sibling 2 looks to have a bit of a tude lol...

Real Name
    Richard

He wanted to drive the wagon...

Guess what breed!

Very cute!! I hope you are able to find them some wonderful forever homes... Im sure with photo's like these they will be adopted quickly. Are you keeping Molly?

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Guess what breed!
    Um...

I'm not seeing any kegs under their necks so I guess St. Bernard is out?

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Um...

I'm not seeing any kegs under their necks so I guess St. Bernard is out?
    Actually, when these brown and black colored puppies started popping out of an all white Maltese, we thought that she had an affair with a pit bull...

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I think Mom had a dirty weekend in Tijuana and there is more than one father involved here. Sorry to impugn her good name, even the best of us can sometimes find ourselves in situations where circumstances overwhelm our judgement. You did say she is a Maltese, a hot blooded Southern European, so passion may have overcome prudence.

I agree about the Chihuahua as one suspect. I think you need to be on the lookout for a black wire haired Terrier Cross as the other. Child support may be problematic. However I am sure you will not allow the sins of the parent(s) to prejudice you against the innocent. Just don't let the prospective pet parents know: they may not be so forgiving. Although close supervision and not allowing them out after dark unattended may be wise.

Real Name
    Richard

Here in Southern California, we have a plethora of Chihuahua and Chihuahus mix puppies and dogs. This makes it quite hard to find furever homes for them. However, there are other areas in the USA that are not so overly abundantly supplied with Chihuahua and Chihuahua mix puppies.

It is a shame that we have so many unwanted Chihuahuas and pitbulls here in SOCAL. There is an organization that will spay and neuter dogs of those two breeds free of charge. In fact, the organizaion has a mobile spay clinic and they will come to you to spay/neuter Chihuahuas and pitbulls. Unfortunately too few people take advantage of this free service and therefore we are overwhelmed with Chihuahuas and pitbulls. Our shelters have more Chihuahuas and pitbulls than all the other breeds combined. I personally think the the irresponsibility of not spaying/neutering dogs is a social problem. Unfortunately the folks least likely to prevent procreation are the folks least likely to be able or willing to provide proper care for their animals.

We have airlifts which bring Chihuahuas to other parts of the United States where they are not so prevalent. We have several fosters who are ready to provide homes to the three Chihuahua looking puppies as soon as we neuter them. These fosters live in areas in which Chihuahuas are not overpopulated and therefore in more demand. That is one great advantage of being part of a national rescue organization rather than a tiny local group. The little black and white girl will be adopted as soon as we post her on www.petfinder.com because 1; she is a female and 2; she doesn't look like a Chihuahua...

www.americanmalteserescue.org

Richard, I live in Southern Oregon and I know of several times there have been loads of Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes brought here to the humane society from California. I have a hard time with the "we need to let her have one litter" mindset as well...
    My big boy came from Crescent city California. He is one I should do a guess what he is post lol... you never would... and they said he was a lab:>

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Richard You have my respect for finding homes for the unwanted pups and for your efforts to provide spay/neuter assistance. Sometimes it feels like trying to hold back the tide with a teaspoon. WARNING: RANT TO FOLLOW My wife and I, plus our other staff veterinarian, try to provide as many free and reduced income spays as we can but it can be pretty disheartening at times. I agree it is a social problem and indeed it does seem to be more of a problem in, to be polite, the lower socioeconomic strata of society. I suppose some of it is straight economics; if you don't have money for rent or food then it is hard to afford the surgery. However for a goodly percentage is just purely and simply a matter of irresponsibility. An aspect of their attitude that is manifest in most other aspects of their lives. The education programs run by the SPCA (local and national), the veterinary associations, groups like yours, industry and so on all appeal to people's sense of responsibility. A sense that I suspect is sadly lacking in the primary target group. END OF RANT

Keep up the good fight, I would help if I could but I suspect that getting the pups into Canada may be impossible.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    However for a goodly percentage is just purely and simply a matter of irresponsibility. An aspect of their attitude that is manifest in most other aspects of their lives. The education programs run by the SPCA (local and national), the veterinary associations, groups like yours, industry and so on all appeal to people's sense of responsibility.
    I echo your rant! We see results of irressponsibility every day as we drive through our area. Teenage girls who have dropped out of school with swollen bellies and pregnant mothers pushing strollers with one or more snotty nosed kids being dragged along beside.

I suspect that ignorance is probably the most prevalent factor in this problem. The humans who are procreating at this alarming rate are the same people who refuse (or are too lazy or ignorant) to neuter or spay their animals. They are also the least likely to be able to provide secure homes for their own and their pet's offspring. Folks who are most able to support children often reduce their birthrates on a voluntary basis. That is likely because of education and upbringing.

If people reproduce irresponsibly, then it is probably asking too much for them to be responsible enough to cut down the birth rate of their animals.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Richard You have my respect for finding homes for the unwanted pups and for your efforts to provide spay/neuter assistance. Sometimes it feels like trying to hold back the tide with a teaspoon. WARNING: RANT TO FOLLOW My wife and I, plus our other staff veterinarian, try to provide as many free and reduced income spays as we can but it can be pretty disheartening at times. I agree it is a social problem and indeed it does seem to be more of a problem in, to be polite, the lower socioeconomic strata of society. I suppose some of it is straight economics; if you don't have money for rent or food then it is hard to afford the surgery. However for a goodly percentage is just purely and simply a matter of irresponsibility. An aspect of their attitude that is manifest in most other aspects of their lives. The education programs run by the SPCA (local and national), the veterinary associations, groups like yours, industry and so on all appeal to people's sense of responsibility. A sense that I suspect is sadly lacking in the primary target group. END OF RANT

Keep up the good fight, I would help if I could but I suspect that getting the pups into Canada may be impossible.
    Trevor

WE have exactly the same problem here in NZ. Some groups in our society place very different values on animals as pets. Even of more concern to me is that not only do they have dogs they can't afford, but our welfare system encourages them to keep having more children which get neglected in much the same way the dog does. We do spays and neuters for next to nothing but people still seem to think it costs too much. At least 3 times a week we put down unwanted dogs at our local animal shelter. The vast majority are unwanted pitbull crosses from lower socio-economic areas. We've put down over 30000 in the last 15 years and we haven't even made a dent in the problem. There aren't enough people like Richard around.

Real Name
    Richard

Trevor and Mark...

Chihuahua's are attractive to a certain segment of the population because they are cutsey tiny little dogs. Often people who opt for Chihuahuas would be better selecting a stuffed animal as a pet because when the find out that the dimuniative Chihuahua takes as much care as a full sized dog, it is off to the shelter or worse, dumping out in the streets.

Many of those who gravitate toward pitbull's and pitbull mixes do so because they want to look macho and the pitbull seems to be a symbol of the macho guy.

The great shame of Chihuahua and Pitbull overpopulation is that they drain the resources of shelters and other helping agencies. The dogs are the victims of a group of ignorant people who cannot even get their own lives on line...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 13th July 2012 at 08:42 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Mark and Richard:

All of us,well at least us three, agree that the problem is cultural and may be 99.99% of the time unsolvable by the efforts of the few. However never lose heart. Even if you find yourself believing you are spitting on a forest fire, you ARE having an effect on some of these people by your good deeds. You probably will never see it, however the effect is there. To give you an example from my own life: One night about 11 years ago an about ten year old girl came in with a four month old kitten with a broken leg. She was very distraught and I could see she was very attached to the kitty. Her mom and brothers came along, all drunk, dirty, tattooed and missing various teeth . I told them the cat had a fracture of the radius and ulna (well I probably said front leg). I told them the cost to cast the limb The response was as anticipated. Add your own expletives as modifiers, but the gist of it was it was only a cat, a bullet cost twenty five cents and we can get another one. The girl was the only one sober enough to talk to coherently so I told her I would fix the cat at no cost but I was doing for her benefit as she loved the cat and not for these other morons (I may not have said morons). So I did. And she came back faithfully for the rechecks and the cat went home with her after four weeks with no cast and a functional limb. Neither cat nor girl to be seen by me again. Until last spring. I was in the check out line at the local grocery store and the young lady working the till asked if I remembered the her and the cat. I did because I remembered telling my staff not to charge her when she came in. To end the story; my little gesture of fixing her cat had awoken in her the realization that not all white people are out to get you, there is hope in life and there was a better way to live then was being practiced by the people around her. I kid you not; saccharine as it sounds she actually said this or close words to that effect. So; sometimes good deeds do more good then anyone has any right to expect or anticipate. And the circle of benefit keeps on expanding. This girl has broken the cycle of despair and so she will go on to benefit those around her.

Real Name
    Richard

Although we prpoably havethe right to discuss this, the forum on which we are doing the discussing is a photo forum and for the benefit of other folks, we should probably halt this thread at the present time.

BTW: Thanks for your supportive views...