Thread: Waiting for the parade...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Waiting for the parade...

Waiting for the parade...

Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, Nikon 80-200mm lens, ISO 800, f/8 at 1/1000 second.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Waiting for the parade...

love the angle and so sharp, so I will keep looking and learning.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    love the angle and so sharp, so I will keep looking and learning.

Cheers:

Allan
    Thanks, Allan.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Wonder if a photographer may sometimes ask people in the background to please move a little for the shot. Over here people in general will not mind if you ask them nicely, they are in general very concious of a camera and will move away by themselves. Others all want to be in the picture, then you capture them as well.

Jiro, why ISO 800 in daylight? Any reason for that?
    Last edited by AB26; 10th July 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Wonder if a photographer may sometimes ask people in the background to please move a little for the shot. Over here people in general will not mind if you ask them nicely, they are in general very concious of a camera and will move away by themselves. Others all want to be in the picture, then you capture them as well.

Jiro, why ISO 800 in daylight? Any reason for that?
    If you can do that (asking people to move away from the camera) then that is not street photography anymore. Hehe. On a parade, everything happens so fast that you only have a small window of time to spot a good image and capture it. Besides, I am literally about 20 feet away from these kids when I took the shot since I am using my el cheapo 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6D kit lens I salvaged from my old film camera.

Your question about why I shot this at ISO 800 in broad daylight is a very good question. From my exif, you would notice that I am using my 80-200mm lens. Since my D70 is a DX camera, the lens equivalent would be a 120-300mm lens. At its farthest zoom setting, I need at least 1/300 second to be able to capture any decent image without much blur due to camera shake. If I would increase the shutter speed by one stop more, I can go to 1/500 or 1/600 second. But since I was at aperture priority most of the time when I am doing street photography, the camera's evaluative metering calculated that at f/8 and at ISO 800, I can get a decent exposure of the shot using a 1/1000 second. Much better handholding a 200mm lens without VR, right? I can go lower to ISO 400 but I know what my Nikon D70 can do at ISO 800 and I want more security on my shutter speed that is why I opted for the ISO 800 setting. Besides, I don't mind the extra grain since I will eventually convert all or most of my shots to B&W anyway and in B&W grain is an added nice element.