Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Little PP on a Photo from St. Augustine, FL

Real Name
    Jeff

A Little PP on a Photo from St. Augustine, FL

This photo is just one of several that I shot of this bridge in St. Augustine. I would like some thoughts on my beginning PP work.

My objective in PP was to follow the rule of thirds in placing the bridge, as well as the small house at the top left in the background. I used Digital Photo Professional, which is the software that came with my Canon T3. It was a very bright, sunny day; therefore, I used a -2/3 EC to try dealing with the bright sky. I also discovered some sensor dust, which the software didn't do such a fantastic job in repairing the image.

Settings:
    Aperature Priority
    f/16
    1/1000
    EC -2/3
    Evaluative
    ISO: 400
    FL: 55mm

First photo is the original...Second is post-processing

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: A Little PP on a Photo from St. Augustine, FL

Jeff: I myself would go with more of a pan feel, by removing most of the water from below the right hand pier of the bridge. There are a number of things that could be done, however that said, and I do not know the software program that you are using, most programs that come with a camera are pretty light on what they can do. Like the shot, better if possible to wait until later in the day when the light is softer, if not the use of a GND filter would have greatly helped to knock down that sky.

Cheers:

Allan

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: A Little PP on a Photo from St. Augustine, FL

Jeff,

The Rule of Thirds doesn't work well for me in this image because there is so much interest to the right and left of where the "thirds" intersect. That's the reason I like Allan's suggestion to eliminate the foreground, especially because it has so little interest.

You mentioned applying the Rule of Thirds to both the bridge and the house. That Rule is generally applied only to the subject to help emphasize it. If you apply it to two parts of the image, they will sometimes compete with each other rather than complement each other.