Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What software do you use and for what?

Real Name
    Dan

What software do you use and for what?

I understand the most established still photo software is Adobe Photoshop for stills but what other software do you use for creativity and special effects? I used to use GIMP which is free but using a camera with very high res photos I have switched to CinePaint which is 16bit vs 8bit GIMP. It is ok but not even close to Photoshop which is a bit pricey for most. Nice thing is Adobe lets you dowload a trial version which is fully functional for I think 30 days. For a free software program it isn't bad though. I used to use ThumbsPlus for my image resizing and cataloging because of it's quality and speed. I just discovered HUGIN for doing panoramic photo stitching on another post which prompted me to post this question to everyone. Shared knowledge is the fastest way to learn about new things outside your normal realm. I would be interested in hearing what niche programs people are using for manipulating their photos and why they like it. Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Russell

Re: What software do you use and for what?

Affordable Lightroom. As L/R 4 is now out you may find L/R 3 on sale at very reasonable price. Does not give you P/S options like Layers but if you want Layers you can also get Perfect Layers from OnOne software for free.
    Russ

Real Name
    Robin

All my mobile editing is done with Snapseed by Nik Software - best app I've ever used.....well you did say niche.

Jpeg (colour) from my D300s loaded onto the iPad and ran through Snapseed:

Two shots from the iPhone loaded into TrueHDR on the iPad then shunted over into Snapseed:

Neither of these have been close to a computer...unless thats how you are viewing them now
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 7th July 2012 at 06:34 PM.

LR4 and Nik Complete Collection for LR. I like the Nik software because it will let me tweak areas with control points without affecting the whole image. I use LR4 for the beginning of PP and finish with Nik on the photos I think will benefit the most from the extra work. LR4 and Nik software just seemed the right thing for me.

Real Name
    Steve

I use several programs depending what I am trying to accomplish. After-shot Pro, Paint Shop Pro, Nik Color EFX Pro and Photoshop CS

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'm a Photoshop guy. Yes, it is expensive for the first full copy - but after that it's only about a $1 a day for upgrades.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I use Aperture, changed from Elements (have never used Photoshop). I haven't used layers so the processing I do is met quite nicely by Aperture. I prefer the edge sensitive brushes in Aperture for cloning, repair, dodging, burning,blurring and sharpen. The sliders for other adjustments seem more intuitive and responsive in Aperture than Elements. I also worship the cloning capability in Aperture. The program seems to have some magic ability to adjust the clone so the edges match seamlessly. Absolutely amazing when removing shadows and debris in grass and vegetation.

Obnoxious shadow of obnoxious photographer

And gone with large three clone spots, no manual edge matching and done by the program
    Last edited by tbob; 6th July 2012 at 11:40 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for the feedback! I am sure there is more out there as well ) I like to be aware of what is available and haven't heard about Nik Software until now. One I had found out about recently as well was Dynamic Photo HDR 5 for HDR photos. And yes Colin.. I think Photoshop is the way to go if you can afford it. They do offer a Cloud version including all the updates now with a monthly fee which is nice if you don't want to fork out a large sum up front. Funny thing is I have found so many little programs over the years that companies like Adobe bought out that worked very well and were free. I don't mind paying for something if it is consistently worth the money. I love trying the little free programs just to see what features they have that set them apart from the rest. Does anyone use PP software for HD video editing as well? I know about Imovie and Movie Maker but what about programs like Wax or Zwei-Stein? Anyone use them and like them or not like them?
    Last edited by DanInNewEngland; 6th July 2012 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanInNewEngland View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I am sure there is more out there as well ) I like to be aware of what is available and haven't heard about Nik Software until now. One I had found out about recently as well was Dynamic Photo HDR 5 for HDR photos. And yes Colin.. I think Photoshop is the way to go if you can afford it. They do offer a Cloud version including all the updates now with a monthly fee which is nice if you don't want to fork out a large sum up front. Funny thing is I have found so many little programs over the years that companies like Adobe bought out that worked very well and were free. I don't mind paying for something if it is consistently worth the money. I love trying the little free programs just to see what features they have that set them apart from the rest. Does anyone use PP software for HD video editing as well? I know about Imovie and Movie Maker but what about programs like Avid FreeDV? Anyone use them and like them or not like them?
    I use Vegas Movie Studio and DVD maker. I like it very much but it does come at a price. It came on my laptop and I just paid for the upgrade not too long ago.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    I use Vegas Movie Studio and DVD maker. I like it very much but it does come at a price. It came on my laptop and I just paid for the upgrade not too long ago.
    Same here.
    I have used Sony Vegas since version 4 - I'm currently using 10 (I believe 11 is out now as well). And Pixelan as a plugin, mostly for transitions when the topic of the video changes drastically.

Real Name
    Will

Sorry for the doubble post, my internet was giving me trouble and I thought this post didn't show up.

-Sonic
    Last edited by Sonic4Spuds; 7th July 2012 at 01:36 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I use Adobe Lightroom for RAW conversion, lens specific and some global changes, and also for cataloging.

I do most of the workflow file selection and opening (particularly opening multiple images as Layers) with Bridge and the basic RAW adjustments in Adobe Camera RAW, both of which come with Photoshop.

I use Photoshop CS5 for most of the post processing (including automated GIFs), although I'm still learning and have a long way to go. Fortunately, I can go much further with Photoshop than I have to date. One of the great things I like about Adobe products is that there are almost unlimited videos and tutorials on just about anything you can think of. I've downloaded over 200 videos on Lightroom and Photoshop alone and haven't scratched the surface of what is freely available.

I use Photomatix for HDR tonemapping and the Topaz Bundle (DeJpeg, DeNoise, InFocus, Adjust, and ReMask) for capture sharpening and final image processing. The Topaz Bundle also contains BW Effects, Clean, Lens Effects, and Simplify which I haven't hardly used as yet.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 7th July 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Real Name
    Will

I use GIMP wit GAP, GMIC, GPR, Normalmap, and UFRaw for most of my photo editing. GIMP has just released v2.8 with Single Window Mode, a new content set (brushes etc.), a new brush system, and the beginnings of OpenCL support. Upcomming versions of GIMP are slated to include such features as NDE, constant 32bit float processing, OpenCL improvements, on canvas iWarp (similar in concept to PS liquify), and the possable inclusion of realtime seamless area cloning.

I also use Hugin for panos, Phatch for batch, Blender for 3D, and Scribus for page layout and publishing.

I have a much broader software need than most of the members (not nearly all of them though) of the forum, as I do Graphic Design, Graphic Arts, Web publishing, and Desktop Publishing.

If people are interested I have a article almost finished on free photography software that I could republish here.

-Sonic

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic4Spuds View Post
    If people are interested I have a article almost finished on free photography software that I could republish here.

-Sonic
    I for one would very much like to see your article.
    Bruce

Real Name
    Andrew

ViewNX, Elements, Elements+. The ViewNX gives me the raw control straight from the manufacturer, I went with Elements as the main adjuster because it has the broader scope of capabilities for amateur photogs who are not doing a zillion shots of the same event and it has a large following which gives you a huge on-line support group. Elements+ primarily for access to curves but also all of the other stuff it opens up. There is not much outside of the camera a photographer can't do with these three.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Obnoxious shadow of obnoxious photographer
    Who needs to work on his camera-holding stance a lot!

Real Name
    Ted

Sigma PhotoPro 5.1 for RAW conversion from the SD10's X3F files, then PSE 6 ($25 on eBay).

ACR 5.4 for the D50's NEF files.

dcraw for serious RAW conversion and analysis, also RawDrop for simple GUI-based dcraw conversion.

ImageJ for analyses.

EXIFtool for peeking at image meta-data.

[added] QuickMTF for measuring system contrast & sharpness.

[added] Jruler for measuring on-screen pixel dimensions.

[added] ColorPix for measuring RGB and HSB as shown on-screen.

Google Picasa 3 (yep) for a quick look at X3F images. Also IrfanView, FastStone Viewer.

Have also tried Adobe's DNG stuff, converter & camera profile editor/creator, but it's pretty heavy going . . .
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 7th July 2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added more

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks Sonic4Spuds If no one else is interested shoot me a quick msg and let me know where I can view your article. I have tried and used various software for years. If you like GIMP you may like GIMPshop or the 16bit variant/version of Gimp called CinePaint all of which are free.

Real Name
    Steve

I use ACR just white balance fill ect; then Topaz DeNoise5 obviously for noise, then Topaz InFocus to get resolution, then Topaz Detail for contrast and sometimes colour jumping, then Helicon Filter for cropping cloning to the highest 16 bit standard, then PSE10 for cleaning up or just printing since everything has been done 16 bit.

Sometimes I use Topaz Remask3 where maybe some serious PP is needed to make the subject pop and hide faces, or PSE10 to Ortonise an otherwise good but ordinary image.

Wished I had CS5 but don't like the price.

Real Name
    Dan

Lightroom for raw processing and most edits.

Photoshop when I need it-e.g., for selections.

Zerene for focus-stacking

LR Enfuse (a LR plugin) for exposure fusion (blending), which is a more realistic alternative to HDR.

On the very rare occasions when LR's NR is not adequate, Noise Ninja

For portraits that have a lot of blemishes, Portrait Professional (but with most of its changes dialed way down or turned off).

I think that about does it. Apart from stacking (I do a lot of macro), I would guess that easily 80% of my images never require more than Lightroom, now that it's editing capabilities have become so substantial.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast