Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Artist and his muse

Real Name
    Ric

Artist and his muse (Warning...Large size photos)

Ello chaps I jumped down for a bit of a holi, and took the chance to take some photos of a good mate of mine and his daughter.

No flash used in photos, shot with natural light, tryed to use shade etc to best effect. used harsh direct sunlight for contrast in black and whites

Post production, Cropped, sharpen and adjusted colour lv's or removed all colour for black and white.

would love feed back

Kind regards

Artist and his muse

Artist and his muse

Artist and his muse

Artist and his muse

Artist and his muse

Artist and his muse

Artist and his muse
    Last edited by Kiwi Ric; 5th July 2012 at 10:28 AM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Artist and his muse (Warning...Large size photos)

You have a very good sense of timing, Ric. If you will continue to shoot at this level you could be a very good family portrait photographer soon. Well done!

Real Name
    Greg

Brilliant Ric. You have captured special moments between a father and his daughter. Something to be proud of.
    Well done

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Agreed with all of the above. #6 is really special.

Real Name
    Terri

What a great way to start the day, viewing such special photos. Put a big smile on my face this morning! They are all wonderful. How lucky your friend is to have had you capture these great moments. Well done!

Real Name
    Ric

Thanks ever so Much for the kind words guys/gals

I found I was lucky as when meeting my friends daughter she took a liking to me, so it solved the issues of her hiding or looking worried when shooting, also using the fantastic and very sexy canon 70-200l is II it gave me some room to shoot but not get in the way.

I can see why pro studio photographers when dealing with solo young children use child wranglers to help capture that grin or sparkle in the eye.

Can anyone tell me if they find my photos to dark? Or better post work I could improve on? Or even the composition etc. I'm always so keen to improve and learn : )

I know using a colour card would have Helped me with perfect colour matching across the photos. And lighting might have given me those lovely catch lights in the eyes.

But thanks again for the feedback

Real Name
    Luc (Pronounced "Luke")

#2 is my favorite!

Good job!

Real Name
    Allan Short

To me they are dark in the right spots and light in the right spots, great images.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Ric View Post
    Can anyone tell me if they find my photos to dark? Or better post work I could improve on? Or even the composition etc. I'm always so keen to improve and learn : )

Hi Ric!

Very, very nice set of photos here.

Their expressions are awesome and you nailed them. They are obviously having a great time at the park together!

Since you asked for a suggestion or two, I’d toss out a couple of theories for your consideration.

What if, in photo #5, you were to tone down the light on the camera right side of the post a bit and maybe bring up the tone on the child’s face? It’s a great shot of her but I wonder if the bright post is competing for the eye’s attention?

And with photo #6 (one of my faves by the way) do you detect a color cast?

I was going to mention the DoF with #7 until I looked at the EXIF. I guess you could have bumped the ISO up a bit to stop your lens down a bit, but it could also be that DoF was what you were after and you got it. Pretty clean for a 1/40 shutter (guessing hand-held).

A very enjoyable set of photographs, Ric. I’d say Father and Daughter are very pleased.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    And with photo #6 (one of my faves by the way) do you detect a color cast?
    Considering that #6 is my favorite, I'll mention that I definitely see a color cast and recommend that it not be changed a bit. The warm tone looks like natural lighting from a candle or fireplace. Whether or not the effect is created from intentional use of "inaccurate" white balance, man-made light and warm reflectors, or natural light doesn't matter; it works just great for me.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 6th July 2012 at 05:15 AM.

Real Name
    Paul

All very nicely done Ric. #6 is my favorite but I really like #7 for the candid nature, DOF may have been a bit deeper but it does not bother me.

Real Name
    Ric

Hello and thanks for the feed back Terry, Mike and Paul

Terry and Mike, yes there is a colour cast to number six, this photo was taken inside with 1 household light above the subjects and forwards by about one meter (Power saving bulb) Also direct to the left and 20-30cm front of the young lady is a small lamp that was a very very warm light source. In this shot they were quite close and back just a tad so it did not cast harsh shadows etc and warmed the subjects, I was so happy with this and would love to be able to do it again in a studio space. So a big yes to the colour cast but also that it was intended,

Guys number 7, yes I wish I had used abit more depth of field with this shot. I was trying to knock Dad out of the photo (A style of photo often seen in wedding photos for the bride and bridesmaid or makeup artist etc) and this worked, but after having a good look at the shot, I did wish he was sharper, well at least to the eyes.

Im a bit of a shocker sometimes with ISO I used so much ilford 100 Iso film back in the day, Im a sucker for using low low ISO when trying to shoot B and white. so yes I should have made some movment to the stops for sure

Shot number 5 more than happy for people to play around with it, I did try a grad filter in LR to remove some of the harsh lighting but Im guessing my LR skills are not up to standard yet

but thanks again guys for pointing issues out etc and improvments I can make, its the best way to learn by getting great feedback by fellow photographers, I want to get good enough that I can make a living from taking photos, so lots and lots to learn!

Regards

-Ric

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Ric View Post
    Shot number 5 more than happy for people to play around with it...
    Again Ric, just a theory here! Either way, she sure is a cutie pie!

Artist and his muse