Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Orange up close

Real Name
    Luc (Pronounced "Luke")

Orange up close

First pic posted on CiC!

I am very much into macro. This is one of the (many) flowers that my gf has planted in our backyard. I decided to try and take a viable macro shot of it. I kinda like it apart from the stick-like figure that can be seen in the middle. I just did not noticed it when I released the shutter.

Please be merciless in your critiques.

Orange up close
    Orange Flower by TheEvilDonut, on Flickr
    Last edited by TheEvilDonut; 4th July 2012 at 11:34 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Orange up close

I love the colors and composition, Luc, though I agree with you about the "stick" in the middle.

My guess is that you shot this hand-held and, as a result, had little control of your depth of field. For me, the subject is the group of stamen (did I get that part of the anatomy correct?). Yet not all of them are in focus due to the small depth of field. Yet parts of the petals on the left and right side are in focus, which is a distraction. At the least, I would prefer that those parts are blurred using post-processing software. Better yet, I would also like to see all of the stamen (or whatever they are called) in focus. Make sense?

Macro images are especially better when viewed in larger images, so I recommend that you upload much larger images. You may not be aware that when a larger image is uploaded, we can view it simply by clicking the small image displayed in the thread.

Real Name
    Luc (Pronounced "Luke")

Re: Orange up close

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    My guess is that you shot this hand-held and, as a result, had little control of your depth of field. For me, the subject is the group of stamen (did I get that part of the anatomy correct?). Yet not all of them are in focus due to the small depth of field. Yet parts of the petals on the left and right side are in focus, which is a distraction. At the least, I would prefer that those parts are blurred using post-processing software. Better yet, I would also like to see all of the stamen (or whatever they are called) in focus. Make sense?
    Totally agree with everything you said up there. As for post-processing I am using Aperture but have yet to truly use it for processing proper. I mainly use it to organize my library and do some VERY light adjustments (ex. exposure or contrast).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Macro images are especially better when viewed in larger images, so I recommend that you upload much larger images.
    I am linking to my Flickr account but have only shared the medium size. I will try with the larger size next time.

THANK YOU for the input!