Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: the single block

Real Name
    Steven

the single block

Still in the learning process, so please give your honest opinion and critique. Thanks for viewing.

the single block

Real Name
    Miltos

Re: the single block

Powerful image Steven. I like it a lot.

Perhaps the upper part is too saturated, not in balanced with the rest. Have you heavy PP it?

Once again congrats.
    Last edited by MilT0s; 3rd July 2012 at 12:54 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Terrific composition! However, as Miltos mentioned, the image has two distinct halves instead of one whole. Try toning down the sky. Alternatively, crop the image to eliminate the stump.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

A very dramatic image Steven. Actually, the horizon and colour/saturation divide the image into two very distinct images. Normally this would not work as the two halves dramatically compete with each other and the bright red in the sky rivets your attention.

On the other hand, the sky alone doesn't give a place for your eye to rest so by itself, would cause tension that would make you want to look away. The dark clouds provide an effective transition and the block on the beach give you that resting place to explore that make returning to explore the sky much easier. In summary, I feel that it works very well. You have pulled off a very difficult, unusual, and compelling image as a result.

I would print this very large and have it dominate an otherwise non-descript wall. You have an emotion stirring conversation piece worthy of the attention it will receive.

Real Name
    Philip

Hi Stephen
    What a totally fantastic sky! I just LOVE skys like that! For me though the division in the picture is too much, it just doesn't look quite right. I would be tempted to do something with the foreground. Increase contrast in the sand with D&B perhaps, The white water of the waves could be made to 'sparkle' a little more and I feel there is hidden detail in the block which could be brought out. Just a thought
    Very nice composition though.
    Cheers
    Phil

Real Name
    Steven

Firstly, Mitos, Mike, Frank and Philip thanks for the responses

The actual scene was unique in that there were the rain clouds in the middle. Actually it was darker as it was raining in that mid-section in the ocean. At the same time it was evening and the sun was setting.

Frank your suggestion for an emotional stirring conversational piece might just work as most of the discussion is about the distinct half of this photo. 8) but ... at the moment my nondescript walls in my house is not high enough for this piece.

Philip, your suggestion of hidden details in the wooden block is worth another look. Hope that the in coming tide has not moved it away.

Again, thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts
    Steven