Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sun and Moon

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

Sun and Moon

A couple of shots of the sun (1st July) and moon (30th June) with a 90mm f10 refractor and a Canon 550D.
    Exposure: Sun 1/640 sec Moon 1/80 sec ISO 100 for both.

Sun and Moon

Sun and Moon

And a colour version.

Sun and Moon

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Sun and Moon

Pretty detailed moon image and the sun image is no slouch either. Well done.

Can you give more details about the lens used? How does it help with sun photography which is a dangerous pursuit (without proper protective stuff most of which I know nothing about btw).

Real Name
    Stephen Campton-Jones

Bobo
    Thanks
    I used a 90mm f10 refracting telescope - it becomes a 900mm focal length lens with an aperature of f10 when a camera is attached.
    Observing the sun can be dangerous, you need some sort of filter at the front of the telescope. There is a few to choose from from glass filters and film filters. I used BAADER Planetarium solar film.
    I have found plans for a reflecting telescope that has no need for filter at the front of the telescope but uses a herschel wedge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Wedge and the mirrors aren't aluminised to reduce the solar radiation to a safe level.

The solar newtonian information is here http://www.considine.net/dgroski/wlnewt/

Real Name
    Terri

Great photos! I really like the moon photos that are not full moon better. For some reason, they just seem more interesting.