Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gulfoss

Real Name
    Allan Short

Gulfoss

Every condition needed to make work against you to get a good shot, was at work the day we went to Gulfoss, wind blowing the mist every whichway, flat sky, shooting into the sun when it came out. OK so it was not perfect, but fun. I started working on this shot not knowing where I wanted to go, in the end, this is where it finally led me. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Cheers:

Allan

Gulfoss
    Last edited by Polar01; 29th June 2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: take to make

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Gulfoss

Powerful shot. I like the menacing sky complementing the rough sea and the rocky sides which frame the "action". Excellent job.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like how it shows the power of natural forces at work.

There are several good crops within this crop. My favorite would be to eliminate the foreground land for a completely different (not necessarily better) image. Also consider eliminating the man-made stuff in the distant background sticking up above the horizon.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

A very dramatic shot Allan! One of the things about Gulfoss is the impression than all of that water is dropping into the center of the earth. If you remove the foreground, it's just another waterfall. For other ideas on shooting this location, take a look at:

http://stuckincustoms.smugmug.com/Po...885926&k=pTb66

http://stuckincustoms.smugmug.com/Po...619713&k=HH5fb

"I have been in many places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone."

Real Name
    Allan Short

Thanks: Bob, Mike and Frank for the kind words. Frank looked at the links provided wonderful shots of Island (Iceland), shot Gulfoss much the same way last year, as some of those, but not winter, better conditions last year (a lot better). Would like to shoot late winter say mid to late March. Well maybe next year (3th time and wanting more).

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Very nice and an interesting location. You had a lot of challenges but did well.

There's a lot of dynamic range so I wonder if an HDR shot would work well in this location....you could stop down and possibly use ND filter to turn the water into a curtain and bring even more detail out of the clouds. However the rugged flow of water would be lost and I suspect that would be more interesting than the curtain effect. Possibly an HDR shot to bring out detail in the sky and dark rocks but you could mask in the wild waterfall parts from one of the images.

You did a nice job with it...I'm just thinking out loud.

Chuck

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Nice shot allen, A lot of power from nature and you captured it very well.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Chuck: I orginally did take a number of 5 shot images thinking HDR, still did not work out as it was very flat. One thing the image dose not show it the volume of water this year compared to last year, last year I shot ISO 100 f29 @1.3" to get a nice smooth look I like, this year same spot ISO 100 f8 @1/8 sec to get the same effect. I best image I have seen from out group was a shot take with a 10 spot ISO 100 f22 at 60 sec. then converted to B&W real stunning image. The image you see here is the same image (2) in Raw layered, one the sky, really worked, than worked in NIK, layered onto the other image, flattened than reworked in NIK.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Mort

I think it is a "wow" interpretation of Gulfoss. Having been there last July, and looking @ my images (which I thought were decent) - you have certainly created a different feeling. Good job! And yes, the comments you have received all have merit, but in the end, you are the eyes and mind of what the image should be.

Real Name
    Miltos

What an extremely dramatic shot you created Allan. Fantastic!

I like it as it is, except maybe from these things (bridge?) in the background that can be easily removed as Mike mentioned.

It would be interesting I think to also make a BW version.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Miltos: Ask you you shall recieve, well somewhat recieve, B&W, tried that, did not get the results I wanted. Have seen some from others in the group, best so far was a 60 sec 10 stop shot (why did I not think of that). So what I am going to do is post a image I took last year almost same spot, then converted into B&W. This is more how I feel it should look like this way.

Cheers:

Allan

Gulfoss