Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Maligne Lake

Maligne Lake

Hi this is my first posting so hope it works OK. I recently returned from a trip across Canada stopping off at Jasper in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. This photograph sums up our visit to Maligne Lake a few miles south east of Jasper. The lake had just been cleared of ice 2 days prior to our boat trip to Spirit Island. I was attempting to capture the brightness of the day as well as the cold and the dramatic views of the bare mountains.
    Cs and Cs welcome.
    Cheers,
    Roy

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Maligne Lake

Hi Roy, welcome to CiC! I'm not sure if you meant to post an image this time but if so it can be a little tricky. Take a look at this link if you haven't already seen it. It is from the FAQ at the top of the page: HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

Hi Frank, thanks for that. Looks like I missed out the last step. Here goes for a second attempt.
    Cheers,
    Roy
    Maligne Lake

Real Name
    Tommy

Hi Roy and welcome to CiC.

Wow. That looks like an awesome place!

I quite like your image, however I think that your chosen composition doesn't really give a true sense of scale and do that magnificent mountain range any justice. Personally I would like to see a little bit more foreground and I feel that a panoramic crop would make the mountains appear much more imposing on the image and the scene. This is, of course, subjective and others, including yourself may disagree with me.

Thanks and look forward to seeing more of your images.

Tom

Real Name
    Scott

Hi Roy... I really, really like this picture, but for the fact that I would have preferred to see more of the water. Had you tilted the camera just a little less, or for that matter, cropped a bit of the sky away, I believe it would have made for a more dramatic image. I have taken the liberty to try this crop and posted the result. If you wish me to remove it, let me know and I will do so.
    Maligne Lake

Hi, thanks for your comments. That's a good crop and looking back at my original it does look a bit sky heavy. I have a few more pictures from that day that I'll now review with a different "eye".
    Cheers

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Very dramatic Ray! Scott's cropped version puts the emphasis on the magnificent mountains and although the lake is not a large part of the image, it is much more noticeable now.

Real Name
    Robert S.

The mountains support the sky like massive pillars with the lake as a floor. Great composition. Isn't it a little bit bluish? But that could also be my screen.

bye
    Robert

Hi Robert, it is very blue but that's how it was. The lake had just recently thawed and the air temperature was about 5 deg C. Other pictures I have of the glacier ice show a distinct blue hue.
    Cheers,
    Roy