Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: One side vignetting

Real Name
    Neil

One side vignetting

Hi,

Some of my photos that were shot with flash have vignetting. Here's some examples of what I mean. Could this be my setting or lighting set-up?

Real Name
    Kristian

Re: One side vignetting

Your camera and flash/lights have a sync speed. That vignette you see appear if you have a faster shutter speed than the sync speed.

Ex. Sync speed is 1/180 and you shoot at 1/250 = that vignette.

Different cameras have different sync speeds, so have a look in your camera's manual to find yours

Read more here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/syncspeed.htm
    Last edited by Kittelsaa; 26th June 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Real Name
    Neil

D7000's sync speed has a maximum of 1/250 and this was shot at exactly 1/250 too.

Real Name
    Kristian

Hmmm, try 1/200 and see if you get the same vignette. If it's still there, it's a different problem than sync speed.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

If you are shooting using the in-camera flash and have a long lens or lens hood on the lens, it will block some of the light. This could be what you are seeing here. It looks like your flash came from the left, so that would be consistent with what you are seeing.

Real Name
    Richard

I noticed that the dark vignette is ever so slightly in an arc. This might be consistent with the lens or the lens hood blocking the light from the flash.

I don't know very much about the lenses and accessories for the Nikon line of cameras but, I notice the same type of vignetting when I use my Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens with its lens hood and the very low profile Canon 270EX speedlite (hotshoe flash). The lens hood blocks the light from the flash since the 270EX flashtube is not raised very far off the hotshoe. This annoys me considerably since one of the reasons I purchased the 270EX was for fill flash in close outdoor shots...

I would suggest that you shoot a blank wall in both horizontal (landscape) and vertical (portrait) positions. Try the portrait positions with the shutter button of the camera to the left and also to the right.

You should (if the lens or hood is blocking the flash) have the vignette at the botom of the fame for the landscape shot and have the vignette on the opposite side as your shutter button in the portrait configurations...

Real Name
    Neil

I guess you lot were right. It was the light set-up and the lens hood. With a 35mm prime, I have to get close to my subject and placing my light about 15-25 degrees away from the camera (left), the image above is what it gave me. It's not the sync speed after all. Thank you!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The 35 is not a particularly long lens; and while I know mine came with a hood, I don't think I've ever shot with it on the lens.

I often use a physically long f/2.8 70-200mm lens for portraits and bought a Stroboframe to hold my flash well above the camera to make sure that what you are getting here does not happen.

http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?...me=stroboframe