Thread: Print profiles not recognized

Real Name
    Ray Grace

Print profiles not recognized

Hi, I am now running Photoshop CS6 Extended. All of my papers have been profiled to my printer (Epson 3800) and all profiles are installed. However, Photoshop is not recognizing them; they are not listed when I go to print with 'Photoshop Manages Colors' selected. I've checked that the profiles are installed in the correct location although each time I right-click on the profile 'Install profile' is the option shown. When I do that and right-click again the same option shows - not Uninstall profile. I thought this was a toggle option.

Other than installing CS6 nothing has changed on my system since CS5 and everything worked then as it should. I should say that my copy of CS6 is a legal one so there should't be any 'pirate' related issues. I'm running Windows 7 64bit and Photoshop is 64bit also.

Can anyone shed any light on the problem?

Ray

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Print profiles not recognized

Ray did you go actually go to the folder that the profiles are suppose to be in? Windows>System32>Spool>Drivers>Color (Colour) this is the actually folder location that your porfiles should be found in. If they are there than I do not know, I do know that when I upgraded from CS5 Extended to CS6 I reinstalled mu ICC profiles as CS6 did not show them. Running same as you but not extended.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

This is really quite strange; and we have similar printers and upgrade paths. I went from PS 5.5 to 6 and use an Epson 3880; and everything came across seamlessly and cleanly when I did my upgrade. Like you, I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

Try reinstalling the Epson printer driver to see what happens.

Real Name
    Ray Grace

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Ray did you go actually go to the folder that the profiles are suppose to be in? Windows>System32>Spool>Drivers>Color (Colour) this is the actually folder location that your porfiles should be found in. If they are there than I do not know, I do know that when I upgraded from CS5 Extended to CS6 I reinstalled mu ICC profiles as CS6 did not show them. Running same as you but not extended.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Ray Grace

Hi Allan
    Yes, I checked the folder location. I used to provide profiles when I worked for a company called Fotospeed. So I know where they should go. That's the frustrating thing. I think I will try what Manfred suggests: reloading the print driver and I think I might also remove the profiles then re-install them.
    Thanks for the help
    Ray

Hi

I have the same set up as RayG and the same problem. I have re-installed the printer software and the profiles. I have even created new profiles but CS6 will not recognise all the profiles I have installed. I also pasted the profiles into Users/AppData/Adobe/Color/Settings which seems to have worked for some people, but not me.

Both color and B/W linearisation profiles created with SpyderPrint are involved.

I downloaded one from Eric Chan to see what would happen. That one is recognized.

If Ray, or anyone else has solved this can they please say how.

Thanks
    JohnMB

Real Name
    Ray Grace

Hi John

Uninstalling both the printer driver and the profiles seems to have solved my problem. I canrtainly don't know what yours could be. When you look at the profiles in C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\Color do you see the little RGB triangle next to the profile name? If that is not showing then there is something wrong with the profile. If it is showing then the profile is correct.

It shouldn't matter what equipment is used to create the profile. Mine were made for me by Fotospeed, created with an X-Rite spectrophotometer but the Spyderprint should produce the required specification.
    Did the profiles work on a previous version of Photoshop or is this you installing them for the first time? If they did then the problem can only be related to your current setup. If you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver and the profiles then the only other option that I can see is to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop.

Sorry I can't help further.

Ray

Real Name
    Ray Grace

Hi John

I thought my problem had been solved. Today I went to print and my profiles were not available. However, I switched to 'Printer Manages Color' then back to 'Photoshop Manages Color' and, hey presto, there they all were.

I'm not sure whether you solved your problem or not but, in case you haven't, this trick might be worth a go.

Regards

Ray

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Hi John

I thought my problem had been solved. Today I went to print and my profiles were not available. However, I switched to 'Printer Manages Color' then back to 'Photoshop Manages Color' and, hey presto, there they all were.

I'm not sure whether you solved your problem or not but, in case you haven't, this trick might be worth a go.

Regards

Ray
    This makes sense, in a convoluted way. Epson's printer interface implementations could be a bit more bit more clear. I remember scratching my head as to why the "Printer Manages Color" option even exists on a high-end photo printer while I was setting up my printer. I guess for use by non-colour managed software.

Good catch!

Hi

Solved my problem. My colour profiles were OK but the B&W linearization profiles were not available. Although there may not be many affected, the problem is that Adobe has for some reason disabled B&W profiles.

The solution is to create a colour profile using the readings from the greyscale step wedges using QTR-Create-ICC-RGB. As a greyscale is being read it creates the same profile as the mono version.

Not many are likely be affected but, if you are, this is the solution.

Thanks to Roy Harrington for replying very promptly to my query and providing the solution.

Regards
    JohnMB