Thread: The Royal Family

Real Name
    David

The Royal Family

Not sure where what categories are available so I decided to put this photo here. It was taken from the street at the recent Trooping of the Colours. I've adjusted the tones a little and cropped it, losing most of the Palace, with the family framed by the colomns. The watermark was placed there as a simple safewguard against amateur copying on another site. I would appreciate comments and feedback

The Royal Family

Real Name
    John

Re: The Royal Family

Hi David,
    firstly I must congratulate you on getting this shot, all of my attempts of shots like this are rubbish, so well done.
    I think I would have cropped off to the right and the top of picture so the columns had equal spacing, basically removing the window and at the top to just above the apex (triangle). I think IMO would balance things a bit more.

I understand you reasons for the watermark, but would like to see it without, to be honest if somebody really wanted it they could easily clone it out. BUT: I would like to think they would pay you for a high resolution version, if they were going to put in so much effort removing it.

Kind regards and thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    if they were going to put in so much effort removing it.
    Removing the watermark is so easily and quickly done it isn't worth while even putting it on except perhaps, as you say, for the amateurs.

Nice image except for the text advertisements but I would endorse John's recommendations on the potential cropping.

Real Name
    Kristian

I agree with the cropping and watermark remarks above.

Apart from that: Outstanding work

Real Name
    Andrew

A great photo David. It looks to be taken from higher than street level. I agree with John's comment that centering the pillars would add to the composition. I also agree with you about watermarking for the amateurs. I can easily see past it (physically and mentally) to see the main subjects in your shot. Do you think you can get it autographed?

Real Name
    Richard

Neat capture... I am always impressed how absolutely regal Catherine, Dutchess of Cambridge looks in any photo I have ever seen.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Neat capture... I am always impressed how absolutely regal Catherine, Dutchess of Cambridge looks in any photo I have ever seen.
    Richard,
    You would be surprised how tall the Duchess is in real life; she really is tall and very beautiful.

Real Name
    David

Thought I'd posted a reply, but it seems to have disappeared. Thanks for the positive comments and my next post will be watermark free. with the crop I was trying to show a little of the Palace , but I guess it didn't work. I think the most appealing thing for me is the informality of the royal group.

Real Name
    John

David,
    Be under no illusion, I like this picture.

The circumstances in which it was taken must have been far from perfect; I guess and you have made a good job of it. The main thing is that you are happy with your ‘creation’ at the end of the day there are so many styles and opinions about composition, that there is really no right or wrong, just individual opinions.

Keep shooting my friend; I can see the ‘big seller’ is just over the horizon.

Real Name
    David

Thanks JPS, I put this picture up here to get opinions from those , like yourself, who have an interest in photography. i appreciate all constructive comments as I'm always willing to learn. someone's already asked if i sell one of my photos on flickr. Not all that sure what to ask for. Any help gladly received.

Real Name
    Richard

Kate is tall and she has wonderful posture. I just love looking at her and I would love to photograph her. Kate's grace and charm remind me of Princess Diana. She doesn't look like Di but she has IMO that same aura about her!