Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Great Grandfather's Watch

Real Name
    Paul

Great Grandfather's Watch

Here is a family heirloom passed down through my grandfather, father and given to me. It is very special and normally resides in a safe deposit box in the bank. Inside the back case is inscribed in beautiful script, "Thomas Searls, Oct 10, 1895, Jerseyville, Ill's." It gives me a thrill to hold an object highly valued by my great grandfather and is a tangible connection to him.

Paul S

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Great Grandfather's Watch

A beautiful timepiece, worthy of some serious product photography to showcase the detail. You could also make images of your hands (or a family member's hands) caressing and opening the watch that are warm, rather darkly lit perhaps by candlelight and display nostalgia. I'm imagining color, black-and-white and sepia versions. It could be a great photographic and family project.

Real Name
    Paul

Good suggestions, Mike. I'll have to get creative. I was wrong about it being my great-grandfather's watch...it actually belonged to my great-great grandfather who I believe emigrated from Cork, Ireland in the 1840's potato famine to Brooklyn, NY. I also have his original wedding certificate (1851, Brooklyn, NY) and large, family Bible published in 1858. Pretty cool stuff! I don't have anything that will last this long.

Paul S

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very interesting, Paul. I was told that the Irish side of my family also emigrated from Ireland during the potato famine.

Real Name
    Louise

Hello Paul, very nice watch. I agree with Mike, you have a great family project to showcase this little treasure. Humm, could be fun to find clothes and a decor to "recreate" a family picture circa 1840! Oh what fun you may have.