Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Drops On The Quill

Drops On The Quill

Suggestion Please….

Drops On The Quill

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Drops On The Quill

Hi Raggi, there are a number of ways this image could be adjusted. Unless we know what are you wanting to change and in what direction, any advice could be taking you in a different direction than you might want to go.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quills can be fascinating subjects due mainly to the great textures and the surroundings in which they have dropped. I try to get a few such shots each time I am out.

As Frank says there are endless presentational possibilities here.

This one is good as is.

Just a simple observation but, for me, the quill is very fractionally close to the image edge, particularly at the bottom.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Endless possibilites, indeed! If I am to take the subject of your thread to be really important, I would try cropping to present a really tight shot of the droplets with the texture of the quill in the background. There is no need to include the top or bottom of the quill in that situation.

Notice the moiree in the quill. I imagine that is being caused by resizing of the image on the Internet. If you post a larger image that doesn't have the moiree effect, we'll be able to view it by clicking it.

Thanks a lot Frank, Bobo, Geoff & Mike for looking & commenting.

Any suggestion will be helpful for me. Such as - how can I make the composition better, or how can I use the light or anything that will help me to know new things about photography.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Raggi View Post
    Any suggestion will be helpful for me. Such as - how can I make the composition better, or how can I use the light or anything that will help me to know new things about photography.
    The composition has good diagonal lines for the eye to follow and the water drops form a good triangle with an odd number of drops, all of which contribute to the composition.

You really have two subjects here, the feather and the detail in the water drops. In this case they complement each other so I don't see a conflict. That also means that a close-up of just one water drop as the subject could work as well but you might not be able to crop that much with this and still retain the detail. It could be an idea for a future image if you have a lens that can capture that much of a close-up.

The background is very close to the subject therefore in sharp focus. Although this can take your attention off the subject, it has subdued colour and contrast with just enough detail to be interesting so I don't see that being a detractor in this image.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Any suggestion will be helpful for me.
    The only suggestion I can make is to keep shooting, exploring the subject from every angle and distance.

Thanks again Frank.. I'll keep your suggestion in mind. I use a point & shoot cam. So have some difficulties to get such close up. But still I'll try.

Thank you Mike.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thanks again Frank.. I'll keep your suggestion in mind. I use a point & shoot cam. So have some difficulties to get such close up. But still I'll try.
    My pleasure! About half of the images in my Project 52 thread were done with a point & shoot camera so please don't let that slow you down from learning and improving.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    My pleasure! About half of the images in my Project 52 thread were done with a point & shoot camera so please don't let that slow you down from learning and improving.
    Not at all Frank. I love photography more then anything... So I'll keep trying for sure. Thanks for replying… Have a nice day