Thread: Some day I'm getting B/W conversion right....

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Some day I'm getting B/W conversion right....

This is a panorama of 3 pictures, taken in Fort Wayne, while I was visiting my daughter.

Maybe a B/W conversion would work on this Picture?

Real Name
    Mary

Re: Some day I'm getting B/W conversion right....

I like the black and white better-- if only because I think that old log buildings should be shown as black and white. Really though the black and white brings out the texture of the wood. Can you clone out the light at the roof?

Real Name
    Jason

Hi Kris,

Nice photos, I too think the b&w works well, although I am quite a fan of b&w. If you don't mind me putting in some thoughts, I would maybe try adjusting the levels a bit, maybe lower the brightness and up the contrast, it may help bring out some more details in the cabin. I am not sure if you have cropped the image but maybe some more sky as well. These are of course my less than professional thoughts and you can feel free to disregard them.

Cheers

J

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jstp View Post
    Hi Kris,

Nice photos, I too think the b&w works well, although I am quite a fan of b&w. If you don't mind me putting in some thoughts, I would maybe try adjusting the levels a bit, maybe lower the brightness and up the contrast, it may help bring out some more details in the cabin. I am not sure if you have cropped the image but maybe some more sky as well. These are of course my less than professional thoughts and you can feel free to disregard them.

Cheers

J
    After stitching the 3 parts together, I lost part of the sky, and heavily cropped the bottom, since it was really nothing but a dirt patch, and contributed nothing to the overall picture.
    I'll work on your suggestion re: levels, and see what I can accomplish.
    Thanks much for the feedback. I'm really struggling with B/W conversions.
    I recently bought the book by John Batdorff titled "Black and White: From snapshots to great shots" , but I still have a lot of studying to do.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Vrgl View Post
    Can you clone out the light at the roof?
    Sure, but then again, it's really what the cabin looks like.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Sky is one thing you do not really "have to loose" when stitching becuase it usually is so easy to clone across to fill the gaps.
    With more trouble you can invent ground detail.
    In addition to what JSTP suggested I used two adjustment layers/curves. First to darken in crease contrast in building and then the second to bring out the cloud detail instead of the near blank sky in the B&W version
    bearing in mind that I do not use a stitch programme for 'good' jobs but use layers in my editing programme where if needed I can adjust tone and colour between layers to get a better match.
    Stitch programmes that I have, three came with cameras , are for 'quick and nasty' results.
    Even the color version looks better with similar treatment although the blue sky on the right looks a bit funny and working with the jpg file is not the best.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 28th June 2012 at 10:23 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    Sky is one thing you do not really "have to loose" when stitching becuase it usually is so easy to clone across to fill the gaps.
    With more trouble you can invent ground detail.
    In addition to what JSTP suggested I used two adjustment layers/curves. First to darken in crease contrast in building and then the second to bring out the cloud detail instead of the near blank sky in the B&W version
    bearing in mind that I do not use a stitch programme for 'good' jobs but use layers in my editing programme where if needed I can adjust tone and colour between layers to get a better match.
    Stitch programmes that I have, three came with cameras , are for 'quick and nasty' results.
    Even the color version looks better with similar treatment although the blue sky on the right looks a bit funny and working with the jpg file is not the best.
    Beside stitching and adjusting the WB, I didn't really do much with the colour picture.
    Thanks for the improvement on the BW - I really like the way you enhanced the sky.
    The cabin in the colour version looks great, but for my taste, the overall feel is a little too saturated.
    Thanks again for your feedback.
    Last edited by Kris V; 28th June 2012 at 02:45 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

I like the B&W, but would like it even better in sepia.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by tclune View Post
    I like the B&W, but would like it even better in sepia.
    I'm on my laptop right now (no PS installed on it), but I'll post a sepia version later this afternoon.
    I believe I actually did one - not sure if I saved it.

Real Name
    Marc

I like the bw version also much more, generally i am more into to like b/w photography, but also color images. bw often adds much more mood, feeling into a picture. your bw version looks more dramatic. Using myself Silver Efex Pro within PS for this task.