Thread: Sad Eyes

Sad Eyes

Suggestions Please..

Sad Eyes

Real Name
    Pat

Re: Sad Eyes

Hi Raggi,
    Great shot, maybe some selective sharpening to the eyes and an overall local contrast enhancememt,
    Best Wishes, Pat.
    ps, try the LCH just on the monkey.

Real Name
    Tommy

If you have Photoshop, try this tutorial. I just did it and it had a dramatic effect on the image...

High Contrast and Detail Effect using dodge and burn technique.

It also benefitted from some sharpening and levels adjustment.

With your permission, I am happy to post what I did with it.
    Last edited by RockNGoalStar; 21st June 2012 at 09:33 AM.

Pat, thanks for looking. I'm a learner and need comments and critiques to know more about photography. Sorry I don't understand what do you mean by LCH. Please let me know.

Tommy, thanks a lot for your suggestion. I don't know much about post-processing. But I'll definitely try that. it'll be very helpful for me if you post the edited one.

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Raggi View Post
    Tommy, thanks a lot for your suggestion. I don't know much about post-processing. But I'll definitely try that. it'll be very helpful for me if you post the edited one.
    OK. I have probably gone a bit overboard here, but that is semi-intentional just to show you how far you can take a soft, unsharpened image like the one you posted.

I also feel that my processing has taken away from the 'sad eyes' theme of your photo. Maybe somewhere between yours and mine would be more ideal. But anyways...

Firstly I used Jiro's tutorial to add a high contrast effect. I cut the opacity of that back a little and played with the levels and added a slight S-Curve to add a little more contrast. I also upped the saturation a tiny bit and sharpened with an unsharp mask before finishing it off with a subtle vignette.

I appreciate that this might not be to everyone's tastes, it is just one approach to the image.

Sad Eyes

Yoiu can flick between the two in the lightbox to see the difference.

See what you think anyway...

Real Name
    Pat

Pat, thanks for looking. I'm a learner and need comments and critiques to know more about photography. Sorry I don't understand what do you mean by LCH. Please let me know.
    Hi Raggi, LCH is a misprint by me it should be LCE, Local Contrast Enhancement, which you can apply to your image using the Unsharp Mask Filter in Photoshop, try maybe 10% and 250px, before you apply this select the eyes and apply some selective sharpening to them may be 100% and 0.8px, if this is too much ajust the %.
    Best Wishes Pat

Tommy, Thank you so much for your help & for your precious time. I like the edited one. I’m just a novice need to know a lot of things to improve. Thanks again for everything you did for me.

Thank you so much Pat. I'll try that.

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Raggi View Post
    Tommy, Thank you so much for your help & for your precious time. I like the edited one. I’m just a novice need to know a lot of things to improve. Thanks again for everything you did for me.
    No problems at all. If you have any more questions then just ask! :-)