Thread: Meet my Neighbour

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Meet my Neighbour

Robin, who features in the first picture below, is my next door neighbour. He is one half of the long standing and hugely successful folk music band 'Gaberlunzie'.

Last night (June 17th) Gaberlunzie were recording a DVD/TV programme in our local village hall. They invited a group of friends and neighbours to make up the audience. And they had a couple of musical friends join them on stage.

All of these were done with the 70-200 f4 IS L on board the 40D. And, for the first time in my life, I was shooting at ISO1600. All were at f4 (could have done with a f2.8) and varied between 1/30, 1/45 and 1/60.

Anyway, a first-time experiment for me. So, here's part of my set. Still waiting on Robin telling me what he thinks of them. Always interested to hear what you think as well.

Meet my Neighbour

Meet my Neighbour

Meet my Neighbour

Meet my Neighbour

Meet my Neighbour
    Last edited by Donald; 18th June 2012 at 02:53 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Meet my Neighbour

Well done with very tough lighting and nice converstions! (I just knew you know how to post-process contrasty black-and-whites. ) I especially like the first and third images.

Real Name
    Richard

Great captures of people with very interesting faces. I love #1 and the last one shows up the entire group wonderfully. The shooting of a group of people when they all have good expressions on their faces is really difficult but, you did a super job with this group!

Real Name
    Terry

Great series, Donald.

Very nice use of "targeted" lighting.

Good eye on the video viewscreen shot.

I really can't see any reason why Mr. Robin wouldn't be thrilled with these.

Next door neighbor, huh? You guys must have some great neighborhood cook-outs!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you folks. And, yes, Robin liked them. We were talking over the garden fence just a few minutes ago as he was mowing his lawn (you don't sort-of think of a professional musician like this out mowing his lawn, do you?).

He'd like to use some of these stills (and the other ones not posted here) in connection with the DVD that they produce from the show.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Congratulations, Donald. I'm with the others here, you've done a pretty good job capturing the moments. If they will use your images for the DVD materials you better make sure that you are properly credited for your work.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    He'd like to use some of these stills (and the other ones not posted here) in connection with the DVD that they produce from the show.
    Congratulations Donald a great set, looks like you had a lot of fun.
    With all the Royalties coming your way, perhaps you could buy all your mates at CiC a drink or two.
    Regards
    John

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Thank you folks. And, yes, Robin liked them. We were talking over the garden fence just a few minutes ago as he was mowing his lawn (you don't sort-of think of a professional musician like this out mowing his lawn, do you?).
    I have to mention this regarding your comment. Many years ago, as a Navy cinematographer, I was assigned to shoot a PSA with actor Paul Newman. When my crew arrived at his home we were directed to meet him behind his house. We found this millionaire, academy award winning actor walking around using a pooper-scooper to pick up his dog's leavings. He was always a real-life person to me after seeing him in that mode...

Real Name
    Paul

Great series Donald.

Real Name
    Carolyn

Wow- I know Gaberlunzie's music- used to play it all the time back in the day when I was in the Scottish Army of the 'Sealed Knot' re-enactment society, and the photographs capture the atmosphere of the music as well as the depth of character of the individual faces. All in all, for me, it becomes a kind of multi -media experience to look at the photos. I am now going to You-Tube up Gaberlunzie. It must be years since I lost all the tapes.

Real Name
    Kay

Very nice donald - 1600's the new 800.... or was that grey is the new Black?

Real Name
    Myra

Terrific set of shots, Donald! Perhaps this will open a new door for you photographic endeavors as some of the band's peers see your work.

Real Name
    Louise

A great set of pictures. Bravo Donald. There is no smily to express my feelings, an accolade perhaps. I like this definition of the word: a touch on a person's shoulders with a sword at the bestowing of a knighthood.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I am familiar with the band - I'm a sucker for Traditional Scottish and Irish Folk music, ever since I got introduced to the Corries, Silly Wizard, and of course the Clancy Brothers and the WolfeTones. (And a LOT more)
    Thanks for posting these pictures, Donald. Nice to have famous neighbour like Robin! Looking forward to the DVD.
    I'm downloading some of their songs from YouTube!