Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Where to buy?

Where to buy?

Hi everybody, how are you? My name is Roberto, from Brazil. Here, all professional cameras are expensive because many taxes are levied. So, i'm going to Cambridge at september to study english. I think you are not from there but... May you give me a help? I wanna know where to buy canon or nikon (and respective lenses) with cheaper prices. Do you have some suggestion about models of professional cameras? I have 1000 pounds to buy it. Sorry for my write mistakes. As i said, i'm going to learn more english... Thank you!

Re: Where to buy?

I'm afraid, Roberto, that the UK is also rather expensive for camera equipment and £1000 won't get you a professional camera body, without lens.

Going to the mid range, fairly good quality amateur equipment, you could probably just about get a basic set up for £1000. Assuming you are talking about proper dslr cameras with separate lenses.

Alternatively, you may be able to find some decent secondhand gear if you have the time to shop around.

Can you give us some more information about the sort of photography which interests you, and exactly what you mean about professional cameras. Would it be for work or pleasure use?

Then we can be more specific.

Real Name
    Andrew

How about going to Japan to study English? I can understand them easier than a couple of Brits I know and you can get a better deal on the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I'm afraid, Roberto, that the UK is also rather expensive for camera equipment and £1000 won't get you a professional camera body, without lens.

Going to the mid range, fairly good quality amateur equipment, you could probably just about get a basic set up for £1000. Assuming you are talking about proper dslr cameras with separate lenses.

Alternatively, you may be able to find some decent secondhand gear if you have the time to shop around.

Can you give us some more information about the sort of photography which interests you, and exactly what you mean about professional cameras. Would it be for work or pleasure use?

Then we can be more specific.
    Hi Geoff! I'm not a professional. Just for pleasure. I was thinking about canon t2i, nikon d3100/d3200 or similars... I usually take pics at daylight. But it's better if can take at night too. It can help... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    How about going to Japan to study English? I can understand them easier than a couple of Brits I know and you can get a better deal on the camera.
    Andrew! Thank you! I really thought about going to japan with my girlfriend but europe is easier for backpackers. And my future cam will be used to record this trip after studying!

Real Name
    Richard

Andrew...

Japanese camera prices are not that great. Additionally the daily living expenses in Japan are astronomical!

A better choice for camera purchase and lower living expenses would be the USA but, some British folks deny that English is spoken anywhere in the USA!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Last time I was in Japan I priced some cameras. They were cheaper in the US and even in Canada and ended up buying one at home.

Real Name
    Paul

Check ebay for digitalrev and their like. I've saved a fair bit of money in the past and they're totally reliable (check their ebay ratings before buying and use PayPal or similiar). Only minor problem is that you may get a customs bill when the item arrives - even so it works out cheaper than buying locally (here in France anyhow) and I know a few people that buy kit this way.

Real Name
    Andrew

Roberto, on the serious side, there are a couple of options you may also want to check.

- Are cameras available at a Duty-Free shop at your airport?
    - on-line ordering with a ship-to address of your destination in England.
    - on your flight is there a long delay or lay-over option in a city where it would be cost-effective to stop.

You don't say how long you will be in England but if it is going to be for a couple of years you may want to consider buying there strictly for warranty purposes.

Also don't practice your English by trying to read an owners manual. Some of us whose English is our first language have a hard time understanding them too.

Quote Originally Posted by bambleweeney View Post
    Check ebay for digitalrev and their like. I've saved a fair bit of money in the past and they're totally reliable (check their ebay ratings before buying and use PayPal or similiar). Only minor problem is that you may get a customs bill when the item arrives - even so it works out cheaper than buying locally (here in France anyhow) and I know a few people that buy kit this way.
    Yeah! Ebay has good prices! I've tried once buying cheaper things... As you said i had to pay customs taxes. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Roberto, on the serious side, there are a couple of options you may also want to check.

- Are cameras available at a Duty-Free shop at your airport?
    - on-line ordering with a ship-to address of your destination in England.
    - on your flight is there a long delay or lay-over option in a city where it would be cost-effective to stop.

You don't say how long you will be in England but if it is going to be for a couple of years you may want to consider buying there strictly for warranty purposes.

Also don't practice your English by trying to read an owners manual. Some of us whose English is our first language have a hard time understanding them too.
    Andrew, i'm going to travel for 1,5 month.
    I saw at brazilian duty-free site some interesting cameras!
    But my doubt is the price in Europe is cheapest than Brazil. And which models are really good (cost-benefit)?
    About the owners manual if it's hard to understand i can download ou translate a portuguese version.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Roberto, There are many many compnies in the UK that sell camera equipment at very reasonable prices. Prices vary depending upon your method of purchase and generally buying from sites such as ebay is cheapest but there is always risk and the most expensive is the dedicated professional camera shop. In between these ranges are many good reputable companies selling by mail order.

I suggest as a start you look up 'Jessops' on the web as they have a good site and easy to navigate. Jessops have shops in all major towns and often have deals where you can order online cheaper and then go to the shop to collect. They are not the cheapest but you will get a good idea of prices for different models and you have somewhere to start from.

Grahame

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi again Roberto,

Forgot to mention the following in my last post. This sight http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1003.html gives an indication of the price variation of generally recognised suppliers of just about all main camera and lens models available in the UK.

Also, from experience of travelling worldwide for many years duty free shops are not the place to buy camera gear from unless it's to get something like batteries you have forgotten to pack !

Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Hi Roberto, There are many many compnies in the UK that sell camera equipment at very reasonable prices. Prices vary depending upon your method of purchase and generally buying from sites such as ebay is cheapest but there is always risk and the most expensive is the dedicated professional camera shop. In between these ranges are many good reputable companies selling by mail order.

I suggest as a start you look up 'Jessops' on the web as they have a good site and easy to navigate. Jessops have shops in all major towns and often have deals where you can order online cheaper and then go to the shop to collect. They are not the cheapest but you will get a good idea of prices for different models and you have somewhere to start from.

Grahame
    Ohhh! Good help!
    For comparation...
    Nikon d 3100 in Jessops store: £369
    the same model in Brazil: £870 (R$2999)
    Now... I'm starting to photograph.
    Do you have some advice or preference of camera?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Hi again Roberto,

Forgot to mention the following in my last post. This sight http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1003.html gives an indication of the price variation of generally recognised suppliers of just about all main camera and lens models available in the UK.

Also, from experience of travelling worldwide for many years duty free shops are not the place to buy camera gear from unless it's to get something like batteries you have forgotten to pack !

Grahame
    Really? I tought duty free shop was a good and cheaper (a little bit) place to buy...
    These sites are going to help me!

Real Name
    Carlos Henrique

Hi Roberto, I'm also from Brazil.

Last year I went to London on vacation and end up buying a Nikon D3100 at Grays of Westminster. It is a Nikon-only store and may not have the price as low as Jessops. However, it was my choice at that time because of the tax return. At the other stores you don't receive all tax back since there is a service fee associated. At Grays of Westminster the store gets in charge of the tax return so that they give you back all the VAT (16% - 17% - please anyone corrects me if I'm wrong). The tax was returned on my credit card after I was back in Brazil. It was very helpful to have the tax back since you can extend your budget at the tax amount. Remember that buying the camera you'll probably need a memory card and a UV filter.

Quote Originally Posted by carloshpvp View Post
    Hi Roberto, I'm also from Brazil.

Last year I went to London on vacation and end up buying a Nikon D3100 at Grays of Westminster. It is a Nikon-only store and may not have the price as low as Jessops. However, it was my choice at that time because of the tax return. At the other stores you don't receive all tax back since there is a service fee associated. At Grays of Westminster the store gets in charge of the tax return so that they give you back all the VAT (16% - 17% - please anyone corrects me if I'm wrong). The tax was returned on my credit card after I was back in Brazil. It was very helpful to have the tax back since you can extend your budget at the tax amount. Remember that buying the camera you'll probably need a memory card and a UV filter.

Hi Carlos Henrique!
    You know how hard it is to buy equipment in Brazil... I was looking the store's location to go there!
    About the taxes, the pay back of VAT (?) is amazing!
    Thank you!

Real Name
    Carlos Henrique

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Bastoff View Post
    Hi Carlos Henrique!
    You know how hard it is to buy equipment in Brazil... I was looking the store's location to go there!
    About the taxes, the pay back of VAT (?) is amazing!
    Thank you!
    You're welcome.

Enjoy your time in England!