Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Relay of Soviet Victory Banner, C&C Needed

Real Name
    Valerian

Relay of Soviet Victory Banner, C&C Needed

These photos were taken on a special event on April 29th, 2012, at the place I'm living in -- Samara, Russia. Please criticize on the photographs to make me a better photographer.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Relay of Soviet Victory Banner, C&C Needed

Nice work, Valerianis. I am newbie myself (and not a professional photographer) so absorb what you think would help you with my comments on your work.

Good exposure on this one. The cropping seems to be a little tight. It looks like a landscape framing would be better with this shot. You can add some extra sharpening and contrast to make it pop.

I would rate this one as the best for me among the set of shots. The composition is really OK (though still a bit tight for me) and the colors really makes the shot work. Good job!

This one is also good. I wish you used an 85mm f/1.8 lens on this one to blur out the background more for separation. You captured a very nice expression on his face. Good job!

You seem to be very fond of portrait composition. This looks good to me. My only nit would be the closeness of the streetlamp on the other guy's face. Other than that this is also a good shot from you.

The exposure is a bit hot on this one. If I was the one who took this shot I would consider using a lower vantage point and using a wide angle lens for some extra drama to the shot.

This is nice. My only complain is that I wish you did not chop off the legs of those in front.

A little bit tight on the composition for me and a little hot on the exposure.

This has a story to tell. I wish you could have given him some more extra open space when you composed the shot. If you moved you position a little bit to the left to get away from that extra bystander on the background this could be a stronger photograph.

Nice expression on this one. Do you know how to work with any photo editing software? You could clone out the rod or pole on the background for a clean shot.

This is good. I like this. Good exposure, too. If I would re-create this shot I would use a wide-angled lens so I can incorporate the line of people waiting in the background and to exaggerate the guys hands and the food he is serving.

This is also OK. A little hot on the highlights and a little tight on the composition for me.

This has a lot of potential to be a good photograph. Don't hesitate to take a lot of shots with the same subject. Vary you vantage point and look for a more interesting angle to shoot from. Wait for the right expression before you press the shutter and as always... enjoy! I believe you will have a good future ahead of you should you continue to hone your skills and knowledge in photography. Good luck!
    Xaroševo dnja
    Relay of Soviet Victory Banner, C&C Needed[/QUOTE]

Real Name
    Richard

I love the shots of the old veterans with their masses of medals. I wonder what they went through during the conflict?

Real Name
    Valerian

jiro, thank you so much for the detailed response!

I wonder what they went through during the conflict?
    This question needs to ask them. I had no chance to talk, unfortunately.

I would like to clone out the wire in the top right corner with #8 and #9. And I wonder how #8 would look with a tighter crop on the right to remove that woman from the background, and a similar amount from the top. It would mean losing half of the soldier but I think it might just work and concentrate more on what he is actually doing.

Possibly some of the others are cropped a fraction tighter than I would wish, like Willie mentioned, but you often have to do this to remove unwanted items from the background so I don't find it too much of a problem.

Overall, an excellent series of photos.