Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Misty Morning

Misty Morning

i saw this on my way to work and thought yea i should get a shot of this

Misty Morning

Re: misty morning

I always think that a misty scene needs some form of 'anchor point' otherwise it can simply look like an out of focus shot. That tree solves the potential problem.

But what are those spots and streaks around the photo? Do you have a dirty lens or could it be a camera sensor which is badly in need of cleaning?

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: misty morning

yeah that dust bunnies alright and there are lots of them, Damien you really need to clean your sensor I count about 68 spots, If you do not keep your sensor clean, they can destory a nice image, or you can spend a lot of time clonning them out.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Re: Misty Morning

A beautiful Scene Damien and well worth stopping for a picture, great colours. I agree with Geoff and would suggest that the only improvement could be to try a tighter crop with the tree being in the left hand, lower corner applying the rule of thirds. You could loose a little foreground and a bit off the left and this may also highlight those magnificent sun rays on the right hand side. Very nice either way.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Damien,

EXIF: Nikon D80 at 70mm, 1/100s, f/32, iso200.

Shooting that at f/32 is what has brought all those nasty dust bunnies out to play. You probably didn't need that aperture for DoF, but I suspect you probably used it to protect the sensor/your eyes from the sun.

Having framed up the composition with the sun just out of shot, probably f/11 or f/16 would have done (and shooting at 1/800s or 1/400s) - but I haven't check any DoF tables, so I might be wrong.

You really, really needed to clone them out (in CS6) before getting this far (and of course, get your sensor cleaned).

I agree with Wayne that the tree feels too centrally placed for me.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ian

Lovely shot, Damien (apart from those distracting dust spots!)

I think Wayne's suggestion will give another, different, good picture but I don't think this needs the crop - the 'Rule' is only a (very helpful) guideline after all... Tim Parkin has published what he terms a 'rant' about the RoT... actually an interesting, well-informed article about it's origins (and the golden section, etc) and how it came to be applied to art and photography.

In this composition, I like the tractor track lines (are they?) in the field in the left foreground and the way they sweep around in curves, which are then 'mirrored' by the shape of the swirling mist further back.

Well done!
    Ian