Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: ~ What is the best value camera that records for basic usage? ~

~ closed ~

this thread is closed. everything helpful has been moved to ~ Cambridge in Colour Tutorials Clarifications ~

(a lot of the confusion has become irrelevant or were cleared up after reading through all of the tutorials)

i've heard Aperture were the critical points to look at along with Focal length

so basically we can get a price to Aperture+Focal length ratio to get the best value

instead of cameras, which laptops or tablets have good camera? can you get a good camera for a laptop or tablet which is not included?

pls reference and source info
    Last edited by laptopcamera; 10th June 2012 at 02:38 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: ~ What is the best value camera that records for basic usage? ~

As a general comment, laptops and tablets do not have good cameras. The zoom, if it has one at all is usually digital (done by using a crop of the image that was taken), rather than optical. Shutter speed, aperture and focal length are not user adjustable. As for camera quality, the one in my laptop and my tablet are really webcams that allow one to save images. Image quality is mediocre and I will only use them (and my phone cameras) if I have nothing else around.

Schneider Optics does make supplemental lenses for the iPhone: http://www.iprolens.com/ Possibly there are other products out there too, but I don't know of any. When you look at the price of these, you are in the same price range of an inexpensive point & shoot, which will likely have a better sensor and better overall performance.

"zoom, if it has one at all is usually digital (done by using a crop of the image that was taken), rather than optical" -- don't understand how that's bad, link?

"Shutter speed" -- is that an important criteria for basic usage? i haven't heard anyone advise of that as a critical point. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_speed

"one in my laptop..." -- this is a secluded individual case, and thereby is not helpful. i had asked generally on all models.

by "good," in that context, i should clarify it means "good enough for basic usage"

for iprolens.com/about.php it looks like they have two lenses for panoramic or just a different view type shot. don't understand how anyone would need that for basic usage. oh and as already stated, the camera has to record, the ipro doesn't seen to function as a camcorder

no idea what "a better sensor" is meant to imply. too vague, don't understand, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor#Sensors_used_in_digital_cameras

i should probably take the main questions to a laptop tablet phones forum. this one doesn't seem to be knowledgeable or highly aware on this area, at least for those whom has seen this thread thus far.
    Last edited by laptopcamera; 9th June 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by laptopcamera View Post
    i should probably take the main questions to a laptop tablet phones forum.
    Yes. That seems like a good idea. This is a forum for serious photographers and those who wish to learn from sound advice and guidance.

you've replied with that remark, though are there no "sound advice and guidance" for any of the other additional open questions and concerns? as well as the main question in the title of best value digi cam?

these are common questions, everyone gogoling this will come across a thread with replies/answers lacking helpful substance

==
    "Digital zooms simply enlarge the pixels in your shot which does make your subject look bigger, but it also makes it look more pixelated and your picture ‘noisier’ (like when you go up close to your TV)."

ref. digital-photography-school.com/how-to-buy-a-digital-camera

again, how important or unimportant is zoom in a camera for regular usage, comparatively?
    Last edited by laptopcamera; 9th June 2012 at 07:49 PM.

this thread is closed. everything helpful has been moved to ~ Cambridge in Colour Tutorials Clarifications ~

(a lot of the confusion has become irrelevant or were cleared up after reading through all of the tutorials)