Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need some help with this one.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Need some help with this one.

I took a picture of a wall that is on the side of a boot shop in my home town. The problem I had was I could not get a full on frontal shot of the wall because of a privacy fence I could not get the wall in full frame.

This is the picture I took.....
    049 by KHarmon1971, on Flickr

This is what I came up using "perspective correction" in post processing. Does this work for anyone???
    Boot wall2 by KHarmon1971, on Flickr

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Need some help with this one.

It looks OK with me. If you want to be more accurate, you can subdivide the whole wall picture by picture using a wider angled lens (or whatever you have) then combine all of them using photoshop. Just make sure that you are taking the images on an overcast day so your lighting would be even. HTH.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Kris: I used the warp tool and came up with this, added a little levels then curves, as some of the colours are quite rich to my eye.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kris,

Bootwall2 (second image, first post) contains most of the art, but it was a shame you lost the star top left (in Allan's). Viewing the histograms; in luminance it does look like the black point needs raising to meet the image content and also the red channel looks to have been increased a little too much (although it isn't obvous looking at it). There's also a thin white triangle top left that could be cloned over.

Notwithstanding the previous issues, both of the flat versions have lost all context of it being 'art on a wall', so you have different expectations and additionally, the crops now offered, and their effect on compsosition, plays a bigger part - e.g. they aren't what the artist painted.

That seems overly negative, but please do consider them as my thoughts on this rather than criticisms.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

In your opinion, should I work on the original image so that we don't lose the fact that this is a painted wall? I have certainly thought of doing that but to this point I'm not confident in my post processing and can't figure out a way to keep it as near to original as possible without screwing it up.

Based on the fact that there is a privacy fence in my way I have some real issues when it comes to composing the shot the way I would like.

KHarmon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Kris,

Bootwall2 (second image, first post) contains most of the art, but it was a shame you lost the star top left (in Allan's). Viewing the histograms; in luminance it does look like the black point needs raising to meet the image content and also the red channel looks to have been increased a little too much (although it isn't obvous looking at it). There's also a thin white triangle top left that could be cloned over.

Notwithstanding the previous issues, both of the flat versions have lost all context of it being 'art on a wall', so you have different expectations and additionally, the crops now offered, and their effect on compsosition, plays a bigger part - e.g. they aren't what the artist painted.

That seems overly negative, but please do consider them as my thoughts on this rather than criticisms.

Quote Originally Posted by KHarmon View Post
    In your opinion, should I work on the original image so that we don't lose the fact that this is a painted wall? I have certainly thought of doing that but to this point I'm not confident in my post processing and can't figure out a way to keep it as near to original as possible without screwing it up.

Based on the fact that there is a privacy fence in my way I have some real issues when it comes to composing the shot the way I would like.

KHarmon
    Hey Kris,
    Have you tried asking permission to go in where you can get a better shot at it. Just a thought on getting around the privacy fence. I have not been turned down yet when asking permission from someone. All they can do is say yes/no and so far I have had more yes's than no's.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kris,

I didn't say I had all the answers

It is unfortunate you don't have the entire top and left edges in shot, which kind of prevents doing what I had in mind - which was straigthening it, as you have quite well, but leaving a 'real life' border around all four edges.

Yes, I see what you mean; it might look like you trespassed to get the shot, even though you didn't