Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I am so blind

Real Name
    Bobo

I am so blind

This week was trying out everything Geoff had put into my head about macro stuff.

Saw this and thought it would make a nice floral shot especially with those water drops (light shower earlier) and buds surrounded by opened flowers.

Grabbed a shot, looked at it in the LCD, thought it was too busy and moved behind the tree for something better.

I am so blind

Back home reviewing the day's shoot and brought it up at 100%.

Now what do we have at the bottom there?

Knocked myself on the head a few times, then knocked it against the wall a few times, and then kicked myself a few times.

THAT looks like a caterpillar emerging, and with a beautiful(?) water reflection at the bottom.... Arrrgggghhhh.

Kicked myself a few more times.

I am so blind

LESSON 1 - always look closely within a scene that drew your attention just in case there are other gems in there.

LESSON 2 - knocking head against wall hurts....

EDIT - that is not a caterpillar. It is a cuckoo spit bug.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 2nd June 2012 at 06:44 AM.

Re: I am so blind

That is so neat. Looks like he's been blowing bubbles in the water drop. Great capture, some times the best ones are not planned.

Real Name
    Bobo

True, but.... if only...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    That is so neat. Looks like he's been blowing bubbles in the water drop. Great capture, some times the best ones are not planned.
    Yes that is what they do. Blow bubbles all around them to act as camouflage. Eventually that little green 'caterpillar' turns into a froghopper.

I didn't realise they were so widespread. Haven't seen one yet in the UK this year.

You are getting the hang of this macro stuff now, Bobo. Very addictive isn't it.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post

You are getting the hang of this macro stuff now, Bobo. Very addictive isn't it.
    Certainly is and people passing by sometimes stop and ask what I am up to kneeling in the grass or hunched up over a plant, etc. Even a HUGE Alsatian wanted to know the other day. Gave him a pat on the head, he went his merry way BUT came back with the same expression half hour later.

No bugs this weekend - very strong winds, heavy rain and temps have dropped considerably. Even the birds are hiding.

Real Name
    Bobo

The one on that flowering plant was the best shaped one and that reflection was awesome and just had to miss that.

This is what they generally look like in that place.

I am so blind

I am so blind