Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: two shots of fog

Real Name
    Keith

two shots of fog

so there was a very nasty hail storm that came through my part of Colorado today....well yesterday....and it tore up pretty much everything in its path and left 2 inches of marble hail and heavy fog, a rarity here. so after finally getting home from the hospital, more on that in another thread, i had to run around and shoot the fog. these are my favorite two, no post processing as of yet.

im not sure if i want to crop the second, but i feel i should. the first i took several times to get the mood right, once because i had the incorrect white balance.

d70s, 48mm, f7.1, 4", iso 200
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23699095@N07/3741533863

d70s, 18mm, f3.5, 2.5", 200 iso
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23699095@N07/3741533299

*edit*
    also, am i just slow or what? i cant seem to get pictures into posts. if someone could pm me how, thatd be great.
    Last edited by starsage56; 23rd July 2009 at 05:19 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: two shots of fog

Hi Keith (starsage56),

I really like the second one (Hail Storm_013), but agree about cropping - in my view you need to lose the bright doorway and window of the building opposite.

The first (Hail Storm_028) could stand a severe cropping I think, I don't see the value in the top half frame of black and the pale patch in foreground is distracting - although that may be what makes it interesting for you because of the unusuality of it. (Did I just make a new word?)

You might want to play with the colour temperature to see if it looks even more spooky in say, blue.

Regarding posting pictures, have you read either of these?
    https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread785.htm
    How do I post images here?
    They may help, in particular, the first has a section on flickr

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 22nd July 2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Had time to look up your name Keith

Hi starsage56,

I always like fog photos. These two photos look great to me. I like the tone of these two shots. I more like the 2nd one, but would crop the leftside door highlight, which would lead people's attention directly to the right side.

Real Name
    Keith

thanks for the input Dave. In the first image, 028, i like the dark area at the top to balance the middle, but agree the hunk of light grass at the bottom should go.

for the second one, which i like the best of those two, i played around more with cropping and found a good crop.

unfortunately....i shot these in jpg so i cant really play with the color temp. i can play with hue and saturation but not much else. shame on me for not shooting in raw.

thanks for that first link, i found the first one just a bit ago and since i use flickr thats what helped me the most.