Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Place Called "Quiapo". PART 1.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

A Place Called "Quiapo". PART 1.

Hi guys, I am already back in the Philippines since January, 2012 and I would like to share these images I took so you can know more about a place called Quiapo in Manila. Hope you enjoy the images and the stories behind them.

A place called "Quiapo".

Quiapo is a place in Metro Manila where the famous Quiapo Church is located. It is very near the center of the City of Manila and it used to be a center for commerce during the old Colonial Spanish rule in the Philippines. Now, it is a very busy place where you can find people from all walks of life ranging from street vendors to savvy businessman.

I visited the Quiapo area one Tuesday afternoon hoping that I could find a good deal to repair a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens that a friend gave to me. I ended up in the Hidalgo area on the side of the Quiapo Church. I talked to the lady who owns a camera shop and told me that it will cost me around $20.00 to repair it and it will take about 3 - 4 hours to do the job. I agreed on the price and gave them my stuck up lens. 3 - 4 hours is a long time to wait so I told the lady owner that I will come back to pick up the lens. In the mean time, I will use my time photographing the streets of Quiapo. Luckily, I took the initiative to bring my Nikon D70 with my 18-70mm f/3.5 - 4.5 lens with me that day.

Here are the shots I captured and some of the funny, interesting, inspiring, and encouraging stories behind the shots.

1. This is the famous Quiapo Church in Manila. It is home for the Black Nazarene statue. I only took pictures of the outside of the church since I found out that I need a permission from the church admin to shoot inside. Knowing that it would take some time I decided to take pictures from the streets instead.

2. He is not the first person that I took a picture of but I thought it would be nice to put him in front. I was right the at the center of the church's front open area when I saw him coming towards me. He is carrying a tray of coffee glasses probably to deliver to his regular vendor clients. He noticed me taking some shots of him. I thought that he would get angry for taking his pictures but instead I was surprised that he even took the time to pose for me!

After this shot I gave him the thumbs up and smiled at him hoping he got the idea that I really appreciate his willingness to be playful in front of my camera.

3. The next one I captured was an image of this cigarette vendor. Most of my shots are stolen ones. I did not take the time to know their background because I have no idea if they would like it or not. He did notice me here but decided to simply ignore my presence (of which I really like.)

There are a lot of cigarette vendors roaming this area. Most of them are middle aged to older guys. They sell the cigarettes per stick. Usually, people don't buy by the pack, they buy either one or twos and this is where these vendors come in handy. It's a little more expensive because they sell it retail.

4. On one side of the area you would see the fortune tellers. These are individuals who reads the cards (specially Tarot cards) to tell you your "fortune" or your future. I have seen a lot of people (even the young ones) consulting these fortune tellers about their interest in life. I was fortunate enough to ask one of them. She told me that people usually asks whether they would be successful in their career, would they get better in their business, is her man cheating on her, will she be able to go abroad soon, and things like that. They start their business late morning and stay here until the early evening. Most of them was very kind to allow me taking some shots while they read their clients' fortune.

I was particulary interested on this one. The lady on the right is probaly asking about her love life or future life because she asked for palm reading instead of using the cards. In some cases, people believe that it is more "accurate" if their palms are the one being read rather than use the cards. What I also find more interesting is the fact that the palm reader doesn't look like one and he does look so ordinary. I would never knew because I am no judge of that.

I have no idea what he is telling her but it sure looks serious.

He must have explained it well but somehow she is not convinced...

So, she asked for another reading.

5. There is so much variety of people to see here in this side of Quiapo. A lot of them is also selling vegetables. She is one of them. She didn't mind me taking some shots and I really appreciate it.

Somebody is buying a plateful of string beans from her. It sure looks fresh and crunchy.

6. Here, a young lady is cleaning some brocolli's before she puts it for display.

7. A vendor is scrubbing off the skin of the carrots before selling them.

8. It was really hot that day and people are still at work that is why there's not a lot of buyers for these vendor. She's not camera shy, she's probably tired at this time. What she's selling are big plastic bags for these small business people who buys in bulk. It is a very convenient type of baggage carrier specially if you're going to transport your goods via the local transport vehicle we call "jeeps" here in Manila.

There are some more pictures that I will upload. Thank you very much for now for taking the time to view
    these. Stay tuned!

Real Name
    Richard

Re: A Place Called "Quiapo". PART 1.

Glad to see you back Jiro... Very nice images... Thanks for posting! I wish I could return to the Philippines. I have not been there with a digital camera.

Real Name
    Julia Crockatt

I love your images Jiro. I do a lot of street photography and particularly like the stolen shots.They are perfectly natural and so colourful as well. What lens are using? Are you getting close up to the people or taking them from a distance. I really enjoyed them.

nice photos man....

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Glad to see you back Jiro... Very nice images... Thanks for posting! I wish I could return to the Philippines. I have not been there with a digital camera.
    Sorry for the late reply, Richard. I think travel agencies right now have a good tour package for Philippine tourists. You could probably get a good deal online. Thank you very much for viewing.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by juliac View Post
    I love your images Jiro. I do a lot of street photography and particularly like the stolen shots.They are perfectly natural and so colourful as well. What lens are using? Are you getting close up to the people or taking them from a distance. I really enjoyed them.
    Thank you very much, Julia. All these shots were taken using my 18-70mm kit lens. I'm quite close to my subject on some of my shots so I could use that nice distortion on the wide angle coverage of the lens and at times I'm about 10-20 feet away from my subject. It helps if you can create a good interaction with your subject. I asked some of these people if I could take take pictures of them and they did not mind at all. Some are prohibitive so I take my chances elsewhere. Street photography is quite challenging because you have no full control on your subjects. What you do have is only timing and composition. Good luck on your street photography, Julia.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ernestolcruzjr View Post
    nice photos man....
    Thanks, man!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

These are great shots with very interesting storyline Willie! I always enjoy reading your narrative as it really helps set the image in perspective. Thank you so much for posting in colour. To me the images look so much more alive that way.