Thread: a 'wise' lizard

Real Name
    Steven

a 'wise' lizard

came across this lizard late evening and it looks annoyed by my intrusion

Would like to hear your comments and critique and thanks for viewing.

a 'wise' lizard

a550 | 1/160 | f/16 | ISO 400 | tammy 90mm | flash fired

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: a 'wise' lizard

Hi Steven,

It looks quite dim, but that at least gives the feeling you didn't 'blind him with light', although he may disagree

Good focus, a bit of a shame about the foreground leaf above him, but at least it isn't covering anything.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steven

Dave, thank you for pointing out the weakness of the photo in a very encouraging way.

Could I ask you a question?
    Is there a way of training a person like me to see the "whole" picture before pressing the shutter?

Reason being, I seem to overlook an aspect of a photo every time I press the shutter till it's pointed out to me later. Just like you did about the leaf above the lizard. Most likely the next time I shoot again, I would be careful about this aspect and very likely would have forgotten an earlier aspect that was pointed out to me much earlier.

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Steven, nice image and I echo Dave's comments.

About not seeing the whole picture before you shoot - join the club. I have taken plenty of frustrating wildlife pictures that have been spoilt by blades of grass, twigs etc. Wildlife is not very accommodating. When you are shooting a one off must not miss opportunity the last thing you think of is that leaf or twig that might spoil the final image as you are concentrating so hard on the subject.

When I shoot wildlife I generally find a position to sit and wait for the animals; this gives me a bit of time to compose the picture and avoid any obstructions. My Land Cruiser acts as a perfect hide and once the animals are used to it they become very relaxed. Predicting animal behaviour also helps in setting up the shot.

Don't give up, as the more pictures you take, the more you do in PP, plus the comments taken from CinC you will find that after a while you will "see" the whole picture before you shoot.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by teokf View Post
    Could I ask you a question?
    Is there a way of training a person like me to see the "whole" picture before pressing the shutter?

Reason being, I seem to overlook an aspect of a photo every time I press the shutter till it's pointed out to me later. Just like you did about the leaf above the lizard.
    Hi Steven,

Clive took the words from my mouth, well actually he didn't - what I mean is I said those exact same words when I read your reply before getting to Clive's - Welcome to 'the club'

Most likely the next time I shoot again, I would be careful about this aspect and very likely would have forgotten an earlier aspect that was pointed out to me much earlier.
    As you say, next time you'll be aware of this aspect, but inevitably miss something else, only after years of experience, or a different procedure, such as Clive adopts, will you think of most things before taking the picture.

Never-the-less, by then, you will also have the experience to know when you must take the picture 'this instant', and 'tidy up' in PP, or miss that unrepeatable shot, or at least, the best shot you ever could have taken of this subject.

I haven't really analysed it before, but this is what I am subconciously doing - on a good day

Take one anyway, then if there is time, in the viewfinder;
    Look all around edges of the frame, is there anything not contributing in a positive way?
    Look at the tonal range, is there anything brighter than the subject?
    Look at the colours, are there any bolder than your subject?
    Look at the subject, is there anything sharper than the eyes?
    Look at the subject, is there anything passing behind it?
    Are the 'extremities' of the subject too blurry?
    Could the exposure of the grab shot be improved?

If the answer to any of the above is "yes", can you improve the next picture by; zooming, focusing, using a different aperture, shutter speed or iso, (and lastly) moving yourself slightly (and quietly), if so do it, but if the subject is liable to take flight, take another shot between each item as you tick them off the list. Then, if it is still there, and you can see that a larger re-positioning move may yield a better result, get to that new position and do it all again!

Yes. you'll have a lot of pictures and most can be deleted without much thought, as the last of the subject should be the best - that's the beauty of digital photography.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steven

Clive, Dave thanks for those encouraging pointers. This is the big difference of this Forum from many others that I have been telling my friends about.

Dave, I will print your check list and try to remember them as I mentally process the pics that I see from the view finder.

Thank you again

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries
    Take one anyway, then if there is time, in the viewfinder;
    Look all around edges of the frame, is there anything not contributing in a positive way?
    Look at the tonal range, is there anything brighter than the subject?
    Look at the colours, are there any bolder than your subject?
    Look at the subject, is there anything sharper than the eyes?
    Look at the subject, is there anything passing behind it?
    Are the 'extremities' of the subject too blurry?
    Could the exposure of the grab shot be improved?
    Just writing these tips down in my notebook.
    Thanks Dave.
    Nice image Steven. He doesn't look too pleased with you though.
    Cheers Greg
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 31st May 2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: add quote tags

Real Name
    Steven

thanks Greg
    yeah, his displeasure was what got me liking this pic even though it's under exposed.

Real Name
    Bobo

I will add one bit to Dave's excellent suggestions

--- Look again carefully through the whole scene to see if you missed anything. Sometimes (many times) there are other gems hidden in there.

Real Name
    Steven

good one Bobo