Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Early morning through the site screen

Real Name
    Gary

Early morning through the site screen

I had an early morning walk round the local cricket ground. The sun was beginning to rise and I made this image looking through the site screen. For those of you who don't know cricket, a site screen is used to help the players see the ball being bowled. Comments welcomed.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Early morning through the site screen

That is a very clever idea. Well done for seeing it. The light being reflected onto the back of the front-most pieces by the face of the rear-most pieces (I'm assuming we're at the back of the screen), works wonderfully well.

The sun, obviously is very bright. I wonder what it would be like if you'd gone for it just a couple of minutes earlier, when the sun wasn't so far into that gap between the two slats of the screen? Or, to retain the quality of the light being reflected, as noted above, you went a few inches to the left just to block the intensity of the light?

Real Name
    Gary

Thanks for your comments Donald. I did also take one at a slightly different angle which misses the sun coming through. Image is below. Both were taken looking from behind the screen. Interested to hear any further thoughts.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Now that is interesting. Notwithstanding it is a different composition and I do like the composition of the first one (you were closer in, or you have cropped it harder), this second one without a bit of flare from the sun, doesn't work as well. It is much 'flatter'. So, I think I was wrong with that suggestion.

Real Name
    Gary

Yup, I agree it doesn't quite have the same 'zing' as the 1st image. Worth taking extra shots though to see what the possibilities are.

Cheers for now

Gary

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The two images are so completely different that I like both of them for very different reasons. You might want to consider dramatically increasing the saturation of the sunlight in the second one to see if more drama can be pulled out of it.

Real Name
    Gary

Thanks for you comments Mike. I have changed some of the PP and here is the result. I think it gives a greater contrast and adds a bit more drama? Interested to hear any further thoughts.

Cheers for now

Gary

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Yes, Gary, that's the concept I had in mind. It makes for a much more appealing image in my mind.