Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 11:59 am

Real Name
    Frank Miller

11:59 am

The Grand Post Clock in Independence Square is made of cast iron but beyond that, I couldn't find out anything more about this elegant timepiece in Charlotte, NC.

11:59 am
    Last edited by FrankMi; 28th May 2012 at 02:12 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: 11:59 am

An elegant image for an elegant timepiece. Beautifully presented, Frank. There's just a lovely balance and harmony to it in terms of composition, tones and lighting.

Real Name
    Steve

Nice clock

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thanks guys! I debated removing the window frame peeking out from behind the foliage but in the end decided to leave it as shot. I loved the colour in the body of the clock when I saw it and really wanted to try to capture the richness of colour tones.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Frank,

Did you purposely shoot with the curvature of the clock and tree behind in line like that?

It gives a good "tie", between the two.

Personally, I would have removed the window frame, but then you probably fancied a rest from that

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

A really nice image for all the reasons Donald mentioned. Add to that that the clock is off-center just a bit.

I wonder if you considered waiting until both clock hands were on the 12 or until there was more separation of the minute hand from the hour hand. Have you considered eliminating the man-made stuff in the background? Other than those two items, I'm not coming up with anything that might have improved upon the image.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Frank,

Did you purposely shoot with the curvature of the clock and tree behind in line like that?

It gives a good "tie", between the two.

Personally, I would have removed the window frame, but then you probably fancied a rest from that
    LOL! I wasn't paying attention to the tree limbs at the time but perhaps I should have been! If I had, I might have noticed the window frames as well and not waited until I was home to to get a 'DOH!' moment.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    A really nice image for all the reasons Donald mentioned. Add to that that the clock is off-center just a bit.

I wonder if you considered waiting until both clock hands were on the 12 or until there was more separation of the minute hand from the hour hand. Have you considered eliminating the man-made stuff in the background? Other than those two items, I'm not coming up with anything that might have improved upon the image.
    Hi Mike, I wanted the clock to be off-center a bit as I felt it was not a good candidate for a symmetrical shot unless it was done straight-on which to me reduced the charm of the architecture.

I was shooting with a group that had already moved on so I couldn't wait. On the other hand, I'm not unhappy at the position of the clock hands either - perhaps if it was a Timex advertisement it might matter?

Yes, if most folks are annoyed by the window frame it would be easy to clone out but being as subdued as it is, until now, I didn't feel that it was a defect that required changing.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to view and provide feedback.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Frank! I just realized that in my total of six posts I am having the pleasure of commenting about two of your wonderful images!

I want to make sure that I didn't accidentally give the wrong impression about your decision to compose the clock off-center. For me, the image would have been a bit static if you had placed it in the center. I like your off-center look very much.

Real Name
    Keith

Hi Frank,

I hadn't noticed the 'window frame' until I scrolled down and found it in the comments. I was trying to see if it is a dove that is reflected in the right hand clock face glazing.

This image is like a good painting - plenty of subtle details for people to pick out.

Real Name
    Bobo

3d'ish almost. Frank at his best again. Nicely done.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Frank! I just realized that in my total of six posts I am having the pleasure of commenting about two of your wonderful images!

I want to make sure that I didn't accidentally give the wrong impression about your decision to compose the clock off-center. For me, the image would have been a bit static if you had placed it in the center. I like your off-center look very much.
    Thanks Mike!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by KCBrecks View Post
    Hi Frank,

I hadn't noticed the 'window frame' until I scrolled down and found it in the comments. I was trying to see if it is a dove that is reflected in the right hand clock face glazing.

This image is like a good painting - plenty of subtle details for people to pick out.
    Hi Keith! I didn't notice any doves in town but there are Magnolia trees all around so it might be a Magnolia blossom. I wish I had thought to look more closely at that reflection at the time!

I appreciate your viewing and comments.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    3d'ish almost. Frank at his best again. Nicely done.
    Thanks Bobo!