Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nobody's home...

Real Name
    Cindy

Nobody's home...

Would love C&C on this photo. I don't like the sky and wondered what post processing could be done besides replacing the it in ps. Thanks all for looking.

Nobody's home...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Nobody's home...

Hi Cindy,

My first question must be; what is the subject; tree or dilapidated old house?
    I appreciate you may have had to shoot this across a fence and land you couldn't venture on to, but shooting from closer and at different angle may have achieved what you wanted better.

Even from here, if the subject is the house with the tree towering over it, I'd suggest cropping 12% width off the left edge, leaving about 2/3 the tree and the whole house, which will be more 'on a third'.

If you shot RAW, it may be possible to extract add some contrast to the sky to reveal some cloud structure.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Cindy, here is one of many different types of techniques that can be used to replace the sky in an image.

http://www.digital-photography-schoo...y-in-photoshop

In my experience, the most difficult skies to replace are those with trees that have bare branches and those that already have clouds. In this image the sky is bland so it won't be too difficult but you may need to try several techniques to find one that will make you happy with this particular image.

Real Name
    Cindy

Thank you, Dave. I have been having a hard time deciding which object I want to emphasize. So if you have any further suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. I did shoot raw and have played with cropping the image. But I wanted to post the image uncropped and get other member's ideas on what to emphasize. And yes, I had to shoot from a distance and it was in a small clearing so getting another angle would be difficult. Thanks again.

Real Name
    Cindy

Thank you, FrankMi. I have a bit of experience replacing the sky in Photoshop. Living in the prairies, we either have beautiful skies or very washed out skies. So I've replaced a few in my photos. And lately, we seem to have more grey skies than blue. Hoping to get some better weather soon. Thank you for the url link.