Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Caliente Fire, and Other Myths

Real Name
    Arlen

Caliente Fire, and Other Myths

Captured during a thunderstorm, to the sight and sound of natural pyrotechnics. Luckily, I had my back porch roof to hide under. These are a strain of geraniums that my wife says go by the sobriquet Caliente Fire. I was struck by the special red color, whatever it might be called, and put in a lot of effort to get it just right; including making a camera profile specific for the lighting of the moment.

Caliente Fire, and Other Myths

And what of the myth? The color of the image was a perfect match to the actual flower. Until converted to sRGB for web presentation, that is. So while only a tad off from reality, the color you see is actually imaginary. Wish you could see it in a wider gamut color space.
    Last edited by Arlen; 27th May 2012 at 04:37 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Caliente Fire, and Other Myths

Still looks beautiful Arlen

Real Name
    Arlen

Thanks, Dave. And now that some time has passed, I have to say that maybe I exaggerated the importance of the sRGB difference in color. Most people probably wouldn't notice it, unless viewed side by side. But when you really focus on getting the color exactly like you want it, even a little change can seem like a mountain rather than a mole hill.

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Great shot Arlen, nice dof and beautiful texture and color, thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Arlen

I appreciate the feedback, Jack. Especially considering some of the nice flower images that you have posted here.

If any one else has any critiques on this image, whether they be choice of subject, composition, treatment, or anything else, I would welcome your thoughts.