Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Finally Moved to Linux

Real Name
    Jason

Finally Moved to Linux

Hi,

I just thought I would share this with anyone who may be interested. I have had an interest in Linux for a number of years now but have never fully moved across to using it soley as my OS, mainly due to not being happy with what was available for photo editing/processing. From today I can say I am giving Windows the flick. After much experimenting and trialling the following now make up my OS and photo editing suite - LinuxMint 13, Gimp 2.8, Darktable and for HDR and tonemapping, which I quite like doing, Luminance HDR and throw in Hugin for pano creation. These I have found more than cover anything I was able to do using the PS equivalents.
    I have attached two pics just for some examples. I am a big fan of B&W combined with tone mapping/HDR to bring out more details, hence the following which I think highlight what can be done from the orig, the photos themselves are nothing to marvel at. Well I hope this may help anyone looking to do the same.

Cheers

J

Finally Moved to Linux
    Finally Moved to Linux

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Finally Moved to Linux

Big Linux fan here too but I've not used it for a few years now. (last version was an Ubuntu release which I really wasn't that keen on) I would love to kick Windows into touch (somebody once described it as a virus with a nice interface which sounds about right) but I've got way too much invested in Photoshop unfortunately. I might do some research though, I've not used Gimp for ages and then never to do anything 'serious' - Hugin is a nice piece of software though.

Real Name
    Mario

Re: Finally Moved to Linux

I'm glad you find these software packages to be useful. They have in common than they're free software (Some developed instead with the open source idea in mind); they free as in freedom for anyone to use, study and modify and invite contribution and that's what made them possible (See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.es.html for more information). However, please note that Linux is a kernel, a component among thousands of an usable system. Unfortunately, the system as a whole is incorrectly referred to as a whole by the name of "Linux". This is a waste of an opportunity to inform about the ideals that made the system we're talking about possible, namely, free software, and also spreads ignorance about the origins and composition of this system (Linux is just the kernel and the system isn't monolithic with a single unambiguous name, like MS Windows).

Several, if not most users of GNU/Linux have never heard of GNU which is the project that initiated the development of a fully free system and then several others projects, organizations and software packages joined like Linux and X11. Now GNU software is a relatively small part of the software compromising this system and Linux is an even smaller part, but GNU is the original project and is still a major part. The GNU project and the Free Software Foundation that emerged from it are major contributor to free software. Software development, campaigns, legal tools including the most used free software license (GNU General Public License), free software hosting and development platform (GNU Savannah, in which I have the pleasure of volunteering) are among FSF's contributions to free software.

To promote the ideals than made possible this system and acknowledge a major contributor could you please call the system GNU/Linux rather than Linux?. For more information see http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html.

By the way, I disagree with the mentality associated with being a "Linux fan", for me it conveys a depreciation of the rest of the system (Which is generally much bigger than Linux) and also puts a tool as the subject of interest. In my experience most self-called "Linux fans" rarely interact directly with Linux (What's the last time you compiled it, manually loaded a module with modprobe or simply hacked Linux?) or use Linux-specific features. Instead the object of theirs appreciation (Even if most don't realize) is the whole system (Of which Linux and any other single compnent is a small to tiny part) and the ideals associated with it (Freedom, modularity, community and volunteer-based development and support etc...) calling all of this simply Linux is at best, a sign of misinformation.

Regards and thanks in advance.