Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon 50mm

Real Name
    Jason

Nikon 50mm

Hi,

I currently have the 50mm AF 1.8D and am considering upgrading the the 50mm AF-S. This is mainly due to the auto focus with the AF-S. Is there any other compelling reason to upgrade? I am getting the hang of the manual focus but think that the auto focus will enable quicker shooting as well the ability to use the continuous focus. Any help and advice welcome.

Cheers

J

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Nikon 50mm

Might be worth checking out the reviews on Photozone (and possibly associated discussions in their forums, which tend to be clearly gear-orientated).
    Their summary includes that the AF-S lens offers improved bokeh and border resolution. The review includes 20 sample images.
    Might be worth looking at the 1.4G as well, if your budget would stretch; it's a lovely lens.

50mm AF 1.8D
    50mm AF-S 1.8G (on Full frame, APS-C review not published yet)
    50mm AF-S 1.4G

Ian

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I shoot with the 50mm AF-D as well, but my camera bodies both have the internal motor to drive the lens. These lenses are all designed for the full-frame camera, and on your D5100 crop-frame, you are shooting with the equivalent of a 75mm lens. The "normal" lens for your camera is more likley to be the 35mm f/1.8G (52.5mm equivalent).

You already have that focal length in your 18-55mm. Unless you need the faster lens, why are you looking at duplicating something you already have?

The new f/1.8G lens is supposed to be sharper than your current lens, and the f/1.4 is the one that some of the pros I know carry around, to get a bit more speed out of the lens in low light situations. Both will perform very well on your camera, as they do have the internal autofocus motor. As you will be using the centre part of the lens only with your crop frame camera, and the distortion is ususally found closer to the edges, this will not be an issue for you either, especially if you are looking at the f/1.4.

I guess the real question is, which one is more suited to your photographic needs. and do you really need one, based on your current lens selection.

Real Name
    John

If you plan to use the lens in very low light situations you will probably end up manually focusing anyway. Any other time of day the AF-S might make your focusing a little easier, but it would be better to try it hands on before making the commitement.

Real Name
    Jason

Thank you very much for the replies and information. I really enjoy shooting with the 50mm, one because the quality is a whole lot better than the kit lens and it also makes me more aware of what I am trying to achieve and the situation I am in before I take the shot. I find my self more and more just leaving that lens on the camera, I only change when I have a hankering to try to take photos of birds who are invariably out of range. The main reason I am looking to change to the AF-S lens is for the auto focus but the more I think about when and what I will be using the lens for I guess the auto focus will only be of a benefit when I am shooting the family and pets.
    Thanks again for the answers, I have more thinking to do.....

Cheers

J

Real Name
    Blake

I also shoot with the 50mm 1.8D (on a D90, though, so I've got autofocus). The AF-S certainly would be worth your money if you've got a D5100.

Good on you for manual focusing with it, because that focusing ring is grippy as you-know-what on mine. (mind you I learned on an old film slr). What you may also find is that the AF-S lens has a MUCH better focusing ring, so when you choose to use manual focus, it's going to be a LOT easier.

You may also want to consider the 35mm 1.8, since the field of view on it would be closer to a true 50mm, and it's helpful to have, but that's just an unrelated suggestion.

EDIT:
    But mind you, having the faster, slightly long 50mm is great sometimes, especially if you're shooting a lot of outdoors like I do, but then you usuallly don't need the extra speed from the lens, so the 18-55 does usually cover you there (it really is a great lens, that 18-55), so the 35 might even be more useful to you as an indoors lens where you may very well need that extra light to get by.