Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First attempt at model aircraft

Real Name
    David

First attempt at model aircraft

My Photography Club had an Outdoor Photo Shoot at the local Model Aircraft Club the other Sunday and what an experience. If you thought getting a half decent wildlife shot was difficult then think again those slippery little "blighters" are all over the place. Lots of shots of tails, noses, planes with no tail or nose and lots and lots of little black fuzzy fur balls with wings in a huge sky.
    Anyway here is a couple I managed, and I cheated with one as it was on the ground and not moving.

50D, Tv, 1/1250, f7.1, ISO800, +1/3 EV,
    Take off by djguk47, on Flickr

50D, Tv, 1/1250, ISO800
    Safe Landing by djguk47, on Flickr

50D, Sigma 10-20
    SAAB Gripen by djguk47, on Flickr

David
    Last edited by DavidGee; 20th May 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: First attempt at model aircraft

I like these shots, especially #1 and #2, possibly because they appear to be the most realistic.

I experimented with a closer crop on #1. avoiding the ground and the sky. I think it may enhance the realism a bit.
    What do you think?

Real Name
    David

Thank you Richard, you hit the nail right on the head with your closer crop, much better.
    As I said this is my first attempt at these slippery little blighters and I will not let them beat me.

The guys flying these also fly larger jets and the Large Scale Models, which take a couple of people to lift, and they have asked me to have a go at the "big boys" which I am looking forward to doing.

The owner of the SAAB Gripen wants the image printed and mounted so maybe a small market for me as most of the guys flying these only have photos taken by their 90 year old Aunt Bessie with her phone.

David

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Interesting thread David,

That grass must be really short to not look out of scale to the smaller aircraft - or 'trip them up' on a take off or landing run.

You shoot these planes just like I prefer to shoot model railways - so they look almost real

and they have asked me to have a go at the "big boys" which I am looking forward to doing
    ~
    as most of the guys flying these only have photos taken by their 90 year old Aunt Bessie with her phone.
    I'd almost ask to join you, assuming not far away and timing convenient, but I don't want to 'muscle in' on your contacts.

I was watching some YouTube of what some of these modellers (worldwide) get up to - looks interesting!

Cheers,

Real Name
    David

Dave, just tried to send you a PM....

David

Real Name
    Terry

You are an inspiration, David!

I found this very interesting so I googled it up. Found out that there are two model airfields in my area.

So I took a little sojourn out to one of them. I really didn't get anything good. I spent most of the time talking (well, listening really) to the only pilot there as he gave me a little edumacation on these things!

Very interesting stuff. I was invited back, however, and back I will go.

The very first thing that became painfully obvious to me was that I don't have anywhere near enough glass to shoot these things! They are on par with shooting a moving mosquito at 100'! Kind of sound like one, too! I figure a 10,000mm would do it but I'd need a couple of Sherpas to help me haul it around!

It was fun, though. This fellow was a competition flyer and was explaining how they have a set of aerial acrobatics to perform and are judged on the precision in which they are performed. He then did the pattern for me.

It was a fun way to fill an afternoon!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

If you get back to shoot the Gripen, try to get it on pavement of some type as I doubt a grass strip would be smooth enough, long enough or support their weight in the real world. Really nice shooting angles on all of these, David!

This is a video of a real aircraft and an exact duplicate model aircraft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOW35gXhWic

Real Name
    David

Terry,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Photographing these slippery little blighters is frustrating fun. I think the secret is to talk with the "pilots" and ask them to fly low and slow and that will give you half a chance.

Enjoy.... I have

David

Real Name
    David

Terry,
    The guys that fly these use a flying field in the middle of a corn field and there is no pavement. They mow the grass really short and most of the models have large wheels except for the war birds which usually ended up on their noses when landing.
    The Gripen is flown at another flying field but is is also grass so it will be interesting to see it take of on the very short grass.
    I hope to do a photo shoot of the jets and the large scale models in a couple of weeks so watch this space.

David