Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Identify Bird Song

Real Name
    Homer

Identify Bird Song

I was out in the woods walking to a pond this morning and heard an amazing bird song. I could not see the bird as it was way up high in a deep mixed conifer forest. I shot a quick video, just to capture the song. Can anyone identify this? The location was southern New Hampshire.

Go to the link https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6cf99...3A2B7D24%21362 and download the file P1090985 to hear the song. Sorry, I don't know how to strip a .wav file out of the .mov file, which would bring the files size down a bunch.

Follow up: I posted the clip to YouTube and sent an email message with the link to an audobon member. Verdict: winter wren.
    Last edited by Boatman; 24th May 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Identify Bird Song

Homer, I would have a listen but it appears I have to sign up to do so.

Real Name
    Homer

Does it? The link should go to a public page on Skydrive. Anyone know how to extract a .wav file from the .mov? If I could do that the audio portion would be much smaller. I could post it easier somewhere else.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
    I was out in the woods walking to a pond this morning and heard an amazing bird song. I could not see the bird as it was way up high in a deep mixed conifer forest. I shot a quick video, just to capture the song. Can anyone identify this? The location was southern New Hampshire.

Go to the link https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6cf99...3A2B7D24%21362 and download the file P1090985 to hear the song. Sorry, I don't know how to strip a .wav file out of the .mov file, which would bring the files size down a bunch.
    I have a skyDrive account and was signed in.
    I got the following message:
    This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to access it. Contact the owner of this item for more information. More info.
    I have Sony Vegas installed on my computer and can strip the audio out of a video clip.

Real Name
    Homer

OK. Let's try this link: http://sdrv.ms/KIAgm7. I don't think I have public files on Skydrive mastered yet

If this were really important, I'd take up your offer to strip the audio, Kris. But, I think it's enough just to listen to the file from Skydrive. Any comments on that software? Using the camera to make a quick recording sucks up a lot of memory, but is handy at times if you need a quick audio recording.

Real Name
    Paul

Sounds like an American Gold Finch, Homer. You can catch them on small trees but normally check the tops of the the trees.

Real Name
    Homer

I don't know. We have goldfinches here - they don't sound like that. Audubon describes their call as per-chick-o-ree or potato-chip. This is a long, complex call with an unusually high note.