Thread: Trevose Head competition shot help please.

Real Name
    Andrew

Trevose Head competition shot help please.

I could do with some help please.
    I entered this shot in last month competition and didnt win ( no surprise there!) but what i am really struggling with is i am not sure if its nearly ok or way off the pace so to speak.
    I always feel i struggle with composition so i tried to get some lead in lines and also i am just attempting post processing and would like some advice on what i need to do to improve. Any comments good or bad please?

Trevose Head competition shot help please.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Re: Trevose Head competition shot help please.

I didn't win either Andrew so take my comments as you will. The old posts which appear to lead nicely out of the left hand corner seem like a good idea, but the one directly under the lighthouse distracts me from the subject. I would imagine that if you you took it out then the other two would work better as foreground without the third one. The only other problem for mine is it is a white lighthouse with a white cloudy background. Perhaps paint it red and take the picture again (if its not too much trouble). I really like this photo and did look long and hard at it, for me it was among the top 10. Given the pale colours it may work better as a black and white?

Nothing seriously wrong with the shot for me. All the lines are leading in the correct directions, etc.

But it is a rather sombre scene which may limit it's appeal when shown in a competition which also includes brighter and more lively action shots.

It is difficult to choose just one image so something which 'jumps up and shouts look at me' gets most attention.

A B&W conversion is certainly worth trying, which may appear to reduce the 'darkness' of the foreground.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Andrew! On one hand, you have a number of great elements in this image and suspect that this is one of those that you need to experiment with the shooting position and angles to perfect the image. On the other hand, I feel that the potential is enormous.

It may not be possible but for example, what if you shot from a position were just two posts and the imaginary lines from the top and bottom of each post lined up with the top and bottom of the lighthouse?

If you get the chance to go back, take an hour or two with a simple rectangular frame in your hand (no camera) and walk all around the lighthouse using the frame to visualize what the best shooting positions and angles would be. Come back with the camera to record test shots the potential views that work best for you.

Then, note the time of day, weather conditions, sky and sea conditions, any additional objects like ships-birds-people-pets-rocks-whatever that would enhance the image and plan to return when the conditions meet the requirements.

Yes, it is a fair bit of planning and work, but it is also the difference between a salon print and a snapshot.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Wayne i can see now what you mean about the third post, i will try to take it out and i will also see what it looks like in black and white. Thanks for the kind words. ps really liked your lightning shots recently.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Frank i realise i have so much to learn and your comments are very relevant. I am a sales rep and i always take my camera with me and one of the most difficult things i find is that sometimes when i could be a hundred miles from home to wait for the best light does not always fit in with family life! That said i shall try to get to this spot again maybe in the winter.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Geoff i shall be trying the black and white conversion and i know what you mean about the competitions as i voted for a brighter image myself.